show only those questions that a student got wrong

show only those questions that a student got wrong

by Eric Lin -
Number of replies: 4

As part of limiting the amount of limiting the volume of test questions that can "get out", I would like to show students on the review of the exam only those questions that they miss. Is there any way to do this, where the only questions they can review are the ones they miss, together with the correct answers?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Lin

Re: show only those questions that a student got wrong

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am not an expert about the question that you ask. But I would probably say "no."

However, what I do in my courses is that I "lock" the quiz in the grade book, then remove the due date in the quiz settings. This then allows students to return to quizzes and redo them for practice for the exam. If you want students to see their previous quizzes, and which questions that they missed on an earlier attempt, you can do so with the quizz's Review Options (see below.)

Incidentally, students seem to really love this approach.  Of course, I am using randomized quizzes, which I think you are using too, if I recall, Eric.

Attachment review options.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Eric Lin -
Rick, thanks for the reply. Just so I understand this, you "lock" their scores, but when you take off the due date, you allow them to do "another attempt" at the quiz, right? That way, they could take it again for review?

I generally allow them to see their quiz results, but the issue I'm trying to deal with is the exposure of question that can be copied, pasted, then put into cheating test banks. I understand that showing them some of their question results already exposes this, but we are talking about a degree issue - the more of a test bank is concealed, the less profitable it is to use a cheating source. yes, I do randomize from a large test bank, and this is for the purposes of deterring both in-test cheating and long term cheating. anyways, every step help deter, and while don't think that it makes sense to completely conceal answer after a test, I think that you don't lose much by hiding what they got right.

If anyone knows how to show only those questions with answers of what they got wrong, that would be helpful..
In reply to Eric Lin

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Yes, I allow (always) unlimited attempts. A good students will practice, practice, and practice. But by locking their score in the grade book, based upon the original due date, they cannot affect their grade with these practice attempts.

If a student spends time copying/pasting questions into a cheat sheet, perhaps they will learn a little while they are doing this. They are touching information, just not totally with their brain.

Another thing that I do is for the exams, the exams are always "timed." So I try to make it harder for them to be using cheat sheets during the exam. If they have "learned" something, they will answer questions more quickly. And exam questions are always different (yet similar) than questions in the weekly quiz assignments.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)