500 internal server error

500 internal server error

by fatima mazhar -
Number of replies: 11
i was installing a plugin "workflow report" on my moodle site. when i confirmed the installation it gave me http 500 error.
then it navigated back and cancelled the installation. then Home, Dashboard and admin site pages gave me http 500 error but other pages and accounts were working fine. Now my moodle site is totally not working. 

i checked my cpanel and file storage is 95%.
php version is PHP 7.3 (ea-php73).

this is my first time using moodle so i have no idea what this error is.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to fatima mazhar

Re: 500 internal server error

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You need to check your web server's error log.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Please see:

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=report_workflow

which states "This report is a companion to the Workflow block." so you must also install the block.

Suggest the only way to fix now ... is to manually install both the report and the block from the command line ... get the files/folders in place, ownerships/permissions set correctly, then use command line script in code/admin/cli/ called 'upgrade.php' to get past the error 500.

Error 500's do exist ... and there is a reference in your web service error logs ... has to be.  But, they might only provide hints/clues and won't be very useful.

One thing you've shared ... and by doing so you think it might be a factor is space ... 95% used means only 5% free .... but you've not converted % into actual numbers related to space. 

Download the 2 plugin zips needed to manually install the workflow.  How large are the zips?   Unzip the zips and see how much space the unzipped files/folders use up.

Then calculate if the above is gonna fit in your 5% space remaining.

Go from there.

Comment: 5% remaining space on an all in one servers isn't a good place to be in ... especially if the DB for the Moodle is on the same physical/virtual machine.

Run out of space ... DB will have serious issues.

Think you need to find some space.

My 2 cents.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by fatima mazhar -
thank you so much. i'll do the following and see how it works. whereas, in the cli error logs it says database transaction aborted automatically in core and similarly in web service rest error logs,
Database transaction aborted automatically in /home/scisagezza/moodle.sci-sagezza/moodle/webservice/rest/server.php.
what does it mean?

by Ken Task -

Hint/clue ... webservice ... is called only when using a device and an app on the device.   What are you using in your attempts to install plugins?

Think you need to revisit error logs and make sure you are using a regular browser.

Database transaction aborted automatically .... is also not a good sign.

What's your Database + server characteristics?   Barracuda/InnoDB/character set/collation etc.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by fatima mazhar -
i install them directly from zip files via drag-drop
database is InnoDB and im using cpanel for moodle

by fatima mazhar -
Plus the report plug-in got installed but the database wasn't able to update cuz it gave me the http error.
I just tried to install its related block plug-in but its saying that there's not enough space to upload a file.

the block file is of 61.4 KBs.

by Ken Task -

Space ... which is what I mentioned:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=404939#p1634500

Since you have cPanel, it has a file browser.

Browse moodledata/temp/

Anything in there can be removed via cPanel

Look in moodledata/temp/backup/

Anything in there can be removed via cPanel

Then check space remaining.

How large are the 2 zips you will use to intall the plugins?

If your server can't handle very small zips you need to find what you can delete ... safely.   No.   Other than what I mentioned above, do not know what else you can delete manually.

How much total space does your server have?

If your site is hosted on cheapo shared hosting then you need to talk to hosting provider about getting more space.

No ... I cannot tell you what they will say.   More than likely that will not be free.  No I cannot tell you how to cheat getting more space for 0$.

Good luck.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by fatima mazhar -
Noted and thank you for your time.
ill see what can be done to ensure this doesn't happen in the future.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Where have you hosted your moodle? Just before you start journey on setting up moodle on shared host (which it does looks like), it has to be strong enough to cater moodle needs.
If your moodle is new, I'll suggest do a fresh install, but before that do see what is taking your space so much to take 95% of your allocated space from hosting provider.