Each attempt builds on the last

Each attempt builds on the last

by Serge Charlebois -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

The possibility to set "Each attempt builds on the last" to YES is not available if only 1 attempt is selected.

Though it sounds logical, in the situation where one wants to give a second attempt to a student specifically through a derogation then one must:

- first, set the derogation to 2 attempts

- second, run to the quiz configuration and select YES to the "Each attempt builds on the last"

I propose that there is no good reason for blocking the configuration of "Each attempt builds on the last"  according to the number of attempts.

Rather, it should simply be commented in the help? that this "is only effective if more than one attempt are possible".

I guess this way there is no change in the behaviour of Moodle itself but rather only to the quiz configuration interface.

I also suggest to move this option in the "note" section along with "Attemps allowed" and "Grading method".

Regards,

P.S. Another possibility would be to allow this parameter as a derogation, but that is more than a simple change I guess with further logical implications. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Serge Charlebois

Re: Each attempt builds on the last

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello all,

Serge wrote: Another possibility would be to have this setting (each attempt builds on the last) also as a user override...

A situation just happened that it would have been very convenient for me. My students took a test on Monday. I wanted one student to redo the test from scratch (each attempt builds on the last = no) and another student to make a second attempt with the previous answers (each attempt builds on the last = yes). This could have been done easily if the setting "Each attempt builds on the last" could also have been defined for individual students in the user overrides.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)