Different experience for varied users?

by Pat McDenn -
Number of replies: 2

If I'm at an organization where I have young students logging in to take courses and administrators (in the organizational sense, not Moodle) logging in as well, how different can I make the experience on one instance of Moodle? We are using 3.5 right now but will upgrade to latest soon.

For instance, on the home page, we might have announcements both for students and for administrators, but they are both very different audiences. Is there a way to "target" the home page? From what I've read, it doesn't look like there is, but I wanted to see just how far one could "work around" this?

Is it common for orgs to run different instances of Moodle for different audiences? Or is it accepted that the landing page is similar for everyone and if you want to target a specific group with general information, you need to create a new course for this info? 

Can I automatically redirect certain people to a specific "course" (it would essentially be their homepage) as soon as they log in?

I know they can simply get where they need to be with one or two clicks but it would be nice to automate. 

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pat McDenn

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Everyone on the 'font page' of Moodle is the same, an authenticated users (with exception of anyone in a site-contenxt role).
If create a new role (ie. FrontPageAdmin), then can put your administrators in this role and when on the front page, you can restrict different activities for their view only (or even prevent them from seeing certain activities, such as labels with student announcements).
Check out this Moodle doc on custom roles: https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Creating_custom_roles