No editing buttons, just an odd dropdown menu

by Gregory Bailey -
Number of replies: 11

Hi all,

I've had a recent development on my Moodle. When I go to edit a section or topic, I no longer get the traditional text editor options on the top of the editing window and get a drop down that has the options of plain text, moodle auto format, or another option (can't remember at the moment). It's not all courses in which this happens. Also, if I type anything in the box, then save, then go back into to the topic to edit it, I get the editor options back. I can manage this, but those that I teach how to use Moodle can't. Any idea what happened? Did a setting get adjusted somewhere?

Thank you! 

odd dropdown menu

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gregory Bailey

Re: No editing buttons, just an odd dropdown menu

by Janice Reid -

I have the same issue.  In our recently-upgraded version of Moodle 3.8.3+ (Build: 20200527) on both iOS and Windows 10, the editor window is not showing icons.  Instead, when I click "Edit Topic" in the course page, I get this:

Screenshot showing editor icon error

We're using Lambda Theme...and both Atto and TinyMCE are both enabled.

Would be grateful for any help on how to get the icons showing up correctly.

Thanks,

Janice

In reply to Janice Reid

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Is your problem still here if you try to use another theme, like Boost or Classic?

Séverin
In reply to Janice Reid

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
To add to Severin’s question, have you tried from a different browser? (For whatever reason, I too notice the same thing if I open my MAMP Moodle sandbox from Safari. If I use Firefox, no problem. Also, no problem with my Production Moodle, either. And no problem with my PC sandbox (of course, not using Safari.)
In reply to Janice Reid

by John Provasnik -
Janice, you are actually having a different issue than the original poster. As others have suggested, try different browsers or different themes to see if you can eliminate some causes. You may have internet connection issues as well from what is showing in the screen shot.

by John Provasnik -
Gregory- change that dropdown that says "Moodle autoformat" dropdown to something else like HTML then save the page. Once saved, go back into editing and your HTML editor should then be visible.
In reply to John Provasnik

by Gregory Bailey -
Hi all,

Thank you for your responses. Séverin, they set up a custom theme for their Moodle years ago so I can't change it, unfortunately. Rick, I have tried a different browser with the same results. John, I found that workaround, but it's not a long term solution for the organization as I have multiple people asking me how to be able to get the editing buttons. There has to be a setting somewhere that was adjusted somehow?

by Rick Jerz -
Thanks for reporting back about different browsers. Maybe others will have some more ideas for you. Since you mention a custom theme, this becomes the first thing to dig into, in my opinion. In general, you can switch to Boost or Classic and then back to your custom theme without causing any problem to your Moodle, as far as I know. Your comment about not being able to change a custom theme that you cannot do anything about makes me wonder if your Moodle is also customized in other ways. Consider speaking to your server administrator or Moodle administrator about what was recently changed in your system. Gregory, you might also let us know your Moodle and Theme.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Janice Reid -
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. My apologies to Gregory posting about a different issue in this thread. I thought it was the same, from the description given.

• I've tried Chrome, Safari and Firefox in OS, all with the same results. I've tried Chrome in Windows, also same results.
  • I've asked the admin in NZ (our IT guy) if he's okay with me changing the theme - waiting to hear back. I suspect not, as he spent quite a bit of time tweaking it after the upgrade.
  • Connectivity is likely an issue as I'm in Malaysia and since the lockdown, the internet has been much slower. But things work perfectly in MoodleCloud, so I'm not sure why the difference.

Anyway, you've given me some ideas, so will keep trying.

Regards,

Janice

In reply to Janice Reid

by Rick Jerz -
As a suggestion, ask your IT guy to fix the problem. Then he might understand.

Actually Janice, you said, "In our recently-upgraded version of Moodle 3.8.3+ (Build: 20200527) on both iOS and Windows 10." And your problem might be different than Gregory's, as John noted. There are several questions that this raises: 1) You upgraded from which earlier version? 2) How did you upgrade? 3) How are you running Moodle in IOS and Windows since Moodle typically runs in a linux-type server, and it is difficult to run a Moodle in both iOS and Windows10 at the same time?  Are you running a local AMP version? 4) Who did the upgrade, your "IT guy?"
In reply to John Provasnik

by Velson Horie -
John
Thank you for pointing me to this. Who would have thought it?
Is there any way this bug can be fixed, what bug is it? Gregory and I cannot be the only ones suddenly stuck, trying to do a simple edit and modification to a box.