Grader doesn't load with "Classic" and "Boost" themes

Grader doesn't load with "Classic" and "Boost" themes

by Ferran Hj -
Number of replies: 9

Hello,

We have recently updated our school's Moodle to version 3.8.3, and we have detected the following issue: when accessing the grader (example.org/mod/assign/view.php?id=1234&action=grader&userid=4321), the central part of the page shows the loading icon and remains stuck there, as seen here:

Grader not loading

What we have tried to no success, following this thread:

• Backup and restore courses
  • Disable Atto editor
  • Disable File feedback
  • Uncheck Feedback comments, Anonotate PDF feedback, Show feedback (User report), Quick feedback (Grader report)
Note that:
  • PoodLL is not among the list of installed plugins
  • Other browsers show same problem
  • Enabling Debugging doesn't show any messages on the page
  • Themes "Classic" and "Boost" both have this issue
  • Themes "More" and "Clean" do not have this issue
Do you have any tips on how to further investigating and solving this issue? We do not wish to have to change the theme.

I am personallty at a loss with this one, any bit of help will be welcome! Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ferran Hj

Re: Grader doesn't load with "Classic" and "Boost" themes

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Broken JavaScript on the site somewhere, press F12 on browser and look at the console for errors.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ferran Hj -
Thank you, Gareth.

The only thing in the console is this warning: "This page uses the non standard property “zoom”. Consider using calc() in the relevant property values, or using “transform” along with “transform-origin: 0 0”." related to /mod/assign/view.php.

Do you think I should modify the source code directly? Or approach this by changing the .css to fix the issue with the property "zoom"? I am not skilled in computer science, and don't know the usual procedure for fixing things like this. Thank you!
In reply to Ferran Hj

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Umm, that's CSS not JS, so won't solve the problem. Who is the technical person whom performed the upgrade?

by Ferran Hj -

Moodle was upgraded by me via a Plesk interface.

In reply to Ferran Hj

by Gareth J Barnard -
Ok, what update procedure did you follow?

by Ferran Hj -

I am not sure what kind of answer you expect, sorry. I am not very knowledgeable.

Once inside Plesk, I can select Applications > My applications, which lists Moodle, WordPress, etc that I may have installed, and then there is an option to update next to all the apps that Plesk identifies as not using the latest version of the software.

Then, it downloads and installs, in this case Moodle 3.8.3. It is entirely automatic so I did not get to configure anything, I only received the message stating that it was successfully updated to that version.

Do you think downgrading might be the only solution?

In reply to Ferran Hj

by Gareth J Barnard -
Like Rick says, you can't really downgrade.

Seems like the people who made the Plesk script to do the upgrade did not know what they were doing or something went wrong. I suspect to do with not removing all of the files (bar the config.php file) and then putting the new files in the same folder - the correct procedure unless you're using 'Git' (another story). Probably because this would mean that plugins would disappear. So therefore I think the script has placed the new files over the old and caused a mangled hybrid which is causing the issue that is now a mess.

As you have little technical experience, then I can only suggest getting / advertising for paid help and / or backup your whole site: Site_backup and reinstall from scratch.... Actually, you still should be able to backup etc. So create a separate new site and use that from a site backup of the current etc.
In reply to Ferran Hj

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Maybe Gareth will get you up and running with a bit more advice.

I am running Moodle 3.8.3+ (Build 20200522), Boost theme, on a VPS and do not have this problem.

My guess is that the one-step installer, or upgrader in this case, that Plesk supplies is the problem. This often occurs when upgrading using cPanel's Softaculous one-step installers.

You cannot downgrade, but you can reinstall from a backup.

The real fix is to learn how to install, and then upgrade, Moodle manually, by yourself.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ferran Hj -

Thank you all for the help.

I tried re-installing the latest 3.8.3 by moving the source code to a separate folder, putting in the source code of the latest version, and then moving back the config.php and moodledata/ files.

While that error has certainly been solved by properly installing things manually, I have noticed that:

1. Some courses have their pictures missing. I had to restore those manually after the installation.
  2. Even though config.php correctly points to the moodledata/ folder, and the (automated) backups appear available for restoration, these don't seem to be valid any more. I did save the backups offline just in case, and used those for the restores.
So I assume I am missing something, and there is something about uploaded files and moodledata that needs to be taken into account when replacing old code with the newest version of Moodle.

This was done on a smaller Moodle with only a few courses. Before I try the same thing with the school-wide Moodle, I would like to know if you have any tips regarding these steps.

Thank you very much!!