non-editing teacher role settings for group

non-editing teacher role settings for group

by Donna Boucher -
Number of replies: 3

Greetings.  I am having some trouble.  I have created a group within a course.  I have added 3 students and 1 non-editing teacher.  When I switch my role to non-editing teacher and look at course administration - reports - activity completion, I can still see all of the students in the course.

I have looked at the moodle doc for groups, the groups FAQ, and the moodle doc for non-editing teacher role.  I also found a moodle doc that said to prohibit capabilities/moodle/site:accessallgroups in the permission settings for the non-editing teacher.

Can anyone help me?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Donna Boucher

Re: non-editing teacher role settings for group

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Just for your course, or for all non-editing teachers in every course on your site?

If just for your course...
(instructions based on Boost theme. If you’re not using Boost and don’t know how to access these settings, just let us know which theme you’re using).

Go into the course
Click on the Course administration cog in the top right
Click on the last item in the list (More...)
Click on the Users tab
Click on the Permissions link
In the “Advanced role override” dropdown, choose your non-editing teacher role
In the “Filter” box, type accessall
You will see “Access all groups“
Click on the last radio button (Prohibit)
Save changes

If for the whole site...
Go to Site administration > Users > Permissions > Definite roles
Click on the cog for the non-editing teacher role
In the “Filter” box, type accessall
You will see “Access all groups“
Click on the last radio button (Prohibit) - you may need to click on the “Show advanced” button just above the filter box to see Prohibit in the list.
Save changes
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Donna Boucher -
Hi Jon,
Thank you for your reply. It is for the whole course, and I have already made sure that the accessall is checked as prohibited.
The only thing we want them to be able to access is the activity completion report... nothing else.
In reply to Donna Boucher

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Don’t use “Switch role to” to test this, it will never give you a true representation.

Either have a test “non-editing teacher” that you can use, or use an account whose role  is “non-editing teacher” and use your site admin role to “log in as” that person.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)