How to pre-configure notifications preferences for a given role

How to pre-configure notifications preferences for a given role

by Alberto Legros -
Number of replies: 3

Greetings!

How the post title indicates, I want to know if there's some way to create something like a template or pre-configuration for a given user role. I'm asking this because I manage a lot of Moodle sites for different clients, and there're so many of them who asked me for a customized role, and most of them also want specific settings for the notifications preferences, which are common for most of the clients who asked me for that role. I wish to know if I can create that notifications preferences template and apply this for that role I created, so every time that customized role is assigned to a new user, that person doesn't have to set the notifications preferences.

Mostly, the Moodle versions I manage are 3.6 and 3.7.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alberto Legros

Re: How to pre-configure notifications preferences for a given role

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Notifications preferences have nothing to do with roles. They are for individual users. Your question doesn't make sense (to me at least)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Alberto Legros -
Hi Howard, how are you?

I understand that you think my question doesn't make sense, but it makes for me. Let me explain that better; A lot of organizations which uses Moodle and for what I manage their Moodle sites, asked me for a customized role with some privilegies, and a specific notifications settings. So, I manage their Moodle sites because they don't want to configure ANYTHING as possible besides courses and simple stuffs, so I created that new rol manually for every site, and for every platform, my clients will add a lot of users and assign that role I created for every platform to those new users, and they want me to configure notifications for every user, so, considering I must configure the notifications for at least 300 users, it doesn't make sense for you to automate much as possible that configuration process?
In reply to Alberto Legros

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You want to set the notifications for certain users. That's fine. But it's still got nothing to do with roles. You may want to (for example) enrol a bunch of users with "role A" into "course XYZ" and also set that group's notifications in certain ways but it still doesn't mean that it's anything to do with the role (it isn't).

Having got that out of the way, I'm not aware of any way to set user notifications settings like this. I think it would require some custom coding (e.g. take a CSV list of users and give them certain settings)

I can't even see anything in Moosh (https://moosh-online.com/commands/) which is a shame. I would put in a feature request to Moosh to add an option to configure user notification settings. Then you could use Moosh to script all this.