Issue with SCORM's hanging

Issue with SCORM's hanging

by Under Dog -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I am having more and more people come back to me with a particular problem and need to know if anybody has run into this before and what the potential fix is.

We author our SCORM's using Articulate Studio 13 and host them using Moodle 3.8.  When a user returns to a module, a box will pop up asking them if they want to resume where they left off.  Some people can't get past their screen by clicking 'yes' or 'no'.  I have to go in and reset their attempt in as an admin.

Another issue they have is at times, when they go back into a module, they just get the spinning wheel like the course material is loading.  Same as above, I have to go in and reset the attempt.  I also ask them to clear their browser cache which at times seems like it fixes the issue.

Any thoughts on where to go with this?

Attachment image0.jpeg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Under Dog

Re: Issue with SCORM's hanging

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I wonder if the suspend_data field is being truncated somewhere.

SCORM 1.2 spec states suspend_data is quite small - We have a "SCORM standards mode" - go to admin > plugins > activities > SCORM and untick that box if you haven't already - that will allow Moodle to "violate" the spec and store pretty much whatever is sent from the package.

If that's already unticked, or unticking doesn't help - your SCORM package JS might be truncating it too and causing it to be unreadable when the user re-enters.

I'd take a look at the users that have this issue and check their suspend_data field to see how large it is. If they are all suspciously close to 4096 characters then it's probably being limited/truncated somewhere which is causing it to become corrupt.

If that's not it... hopefully your post in the articulate forums shows something up! smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Under Dog -

Hey Dan,

I've asked for some help at the Articulate forum but nothing yet.

I had a look at the SCORM Standard Mode and the box was already unticked.

Ages ago, on an older Moodle install (2.4), I remember having to increase the size of 'something' regarding SCORM data.  Is that what you were eluding to with you said about the 4096 characters?

I wonder why clearing browser cache fixed the issue for some and not others but when I clear their attempt, they can get back in.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Dave

In reply to Under Dog

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
yeah - that tickbox extends the 4096 char limit in Moodle - but some SCORM packages will still have their own code that truncates that before it hits Moodle.

I have seen some packages store progress data in cookies which is why clearing the browser cache might help, but others will be storing it in the "suspend_data" field and something must be corrupting that somehow.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Under Dog -
Hi Dan,

How do I check the info you mentioned? Any ideas of where to go from here? Still nothing solid from the Articulate forums :/

Many thanks!,

Dave