Are there good tutorial videos that explain all math question types

Are there good tutorial videos that explain all math question types

by Ahmad Amer -
Number of replies: 16

Salam

Are there good tutorial videos that explain all math question types - numerical, calculated multichoice, calculated ....

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ahmad Amer

Re: Are there good tutorial videos that explain all math question types

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I don't know.

However, I did give a presentation on Calculated Multichoice questions (show below.)  This presentation was not mean to be a "good tutorial." I designed it to introduce people to Calculated Multichoice questions and create interest.  Oh well, here it is.  Maybe something is better than nothing.

MoodleMoot2019 (Global and Mountain), "Using Calculated Multichoice Questions"

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ahmad Amer -
Thanks Rick. Very useful.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Rick,

I haven't figured out how to insert a Vimeo video in MoodleDocs but if you upload a copy of your video to YouTube, the link to your video can be easily integrated, making the video more inviting to watch than just a link.

I gave it a try by copying your video. Here is the result: https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Calculated_multichoice_question_type. Do you think it would be useful to have your video on MoodleDocs?

Of course, it would be better if the video was on your YouTube account rather than on mine.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Rick Jerz -
Good questions, Dominique.

That URL will bring up a presentation resources web page that contains a bunch of stuff. The video is at a Vimeo URL. The best URL to use would be: vimeo.com/381774417/2635e6284f, with https:// in front of it.

Yes, it is fine to put this into the Moodle docs. In fact, I fumbled my way into adding it, but please take a look at where I put it and what I said to see if you can improve it. I wasn't able to figure out how to make the presentation title be a hyperlink. Thanks.

I am not sure if the Moodle docs will "interpret" the address and display the video, or if the hyperlink will simply appear.

I have made this video (and my other Moodle-related videos "public" on Vimeo, allowing anyone to share them (as long as I am alive and keep my Vimeo account active.)  And people can download them, too.
Attachment Ricks Calculated edits.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Rick,

I moved your video link at the top of the page.

by Rick Jerz -
Great, Dominique. It looks good.

It is probably good for the Moodle docs to try to accumulate these videos, maybe some of Eoin's, for example.

Thanks for cleaning it up.
Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Just to clarify, Dr. Darrin Thomas created the Educational Research Techniques videos, I just found them useful.
In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Dominique Bauer -
I just put the links to Dr. Darrin Thomas' videos in MoodleDocs (calculated, simple calculated, calculated multichoice). I do not think that this infringes copyright because it is not a deep link, nor a framing, nor an inlining (inline linking, i.e. embedding) and that it is most probably a 'fair use' for educational purposes. See for example the American Bar Association and Stanford University Librairies (also Digital Media Law Project, Mighty Recruiter, etc.). Nevertheless, the permission of Dr Darrin Thomas could be desirable and a mention could also be placed under the link to his videos if required by Moodle.org.

by Rick Jerz -
I am not knowledgable about all the various Creative Commons stuff. But if you are, I can add one of these to my video within Vimeo. I have never done this, so I am not sure how it changes things.
Attachment Creative Commons.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Rick,

Unless you particularly want to declare a request that your name must always be mentioned, that your work must not be altered in any way, that the copyright notice must always accompany the links to your video, etc., I think the simplest thing for this type of work is to declare Public Domain Dedication (CC0). Otherwise, take a look for example at Creative Common licence. Enjoy your reading! smile

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, Dominique, it may be that "public domain dedication" is the most open, which is fine with me.

This becomes an interesting topic in itself, doesn't it? I am a novice at Creative Commons and don't know what I am getting myself into. But I decided to "jump," meaning that I tagged this video CC0. Let's see what happens! I hope that I don't end up with a bunch of attorneys on my back.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Rick,

I reassure you immediately, the chances of someone suing you are almost zero. In fact, you can easily demonstrate that you are the author of your videos. Also, there is relatively little money involved in this situation (time spent preparing the video and other related expenses, potential income from the sale of the video, etc.). I doubt anyone claims to be the author of the content of your video and is suing you for plagiarism.

Conversely, I doubt that you would sue someone if they use your video even if they claim it is their own work, which would be silly anyway, or if they try to sell it, with all the respect that I owe you, good luck. CC0 simply confirms this.

Note that things would be different if it were a work with financial ìmplications, for example a series of videos that you would sell or a patent for an invention with commercial potential.

There are some discussions about copyright on the forums. See for example this one or this one, etc.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)

by Rick Jerz -
No, I am donating my thoughts, and I seek no money at all, so I want everyone to benefit.

by Rick Jerz -
Oops, sorry about that, Eoin. When you run into Dr. Thomas, tell him thanks. 😀
In reply to Ahmad Amer

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

by Ahmad Amer -
Thanks Eoin. Very useful.