Partitioning server for moodle security. + SE linux

Partitioning server for moodle security. + SE linux

by Pubudu Premachandra -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,
we have a dell power edge 1425 server. I installed fedora core4 on it previouslloy and successfully ran moodle on it. But I am going to reinstall the Fedora operating system on it again from the very begging and to prepare it as a moodle server.

it has 3.2 ghz intel xeon processor, two 169 gb hard disks, two c4 sata raid.

1)Now we are highly concern about the security issue. So when partitioning the hard. Should I have to partition giving /var in to different partition? (What is the benifit of this shall I able to introduce security to that partition too)??

2)I previouly installed moodle on /usr/moodle1, /usr/moodle2, and /usr/moodle3 (in /etc/httpd.conf file alias to these moodle sites)as in moodle red hat installation guide and I would like to follow the same procedure here again. Now if /var in different partition give security sense in this cenario.  Should I have to  place /usr in a different partition then?

3)I prefer to use se linux security system later. Will this make conflict when I partition like. /usr in a different partition(where moodle resides).?

Can anybody help me on how to partition a web server(concerning moodle) to acheive security while having resonable performance??

And on establishing se linux security for moodle system. At least web resource to find facts how to achive this goal.

how about /usr/ in one partion of one hard disk (in case of moodle folder and mysql db).  while other major directories second hard. ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pubudu Premachandra

Re: Partitioning server for moodle security. + SE linux

by M Y -
Hi,

From what I have read, SELinux is a bad idea for Moodle.

I think (not being an expert) that your swap space should be at least twice that of your RAM to get max preformance. The IT manager at my school suggested that I have  dedicated harddrive for swap.

As for partitioning, I have used 7Gb for / files and the rest of the harddrive for /home where my moodle install is.

I'm afraid I am not an expert of Apache so I cant help with httpd.cfg.

Good Luck,

Martin
In reply to Pubudu Premachandra

by Martín Langhoff -
I think you are mixing up SELinux security partitions with disk partitions. They are two different things entirely. Partition your disks in a way that matches your expected usage patterns -- if the install is going to see a lot of traffic, there's a lot you can do to improve DB performance with how you partition your disks.

And worry about security partitioning when you get to it. So far, I've found SELinux to be too much complexity to be worth it.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Jonathan Moore -
Martin, would any of your partitioning suggestions improve performance on a single disk system (or raid 1)? I know of the suggestion of putting logs, database, and system on different disks, but I would be interested in if there are things to do on a single drive setup. If so could you offer some specifics of how partitioning might improve sql performance?