selective question grading

selective question grading

by paul john -
Number of replies: 13

Hello,

I have prepared a quiz with 3 essay questions, Each question in the quiz is a random question from the bank. 

Out of 3 questions i want the student to attend any 2 questions (10*2=20). 

I am having trouble in doing the grading . 

How to change the setting such that the student can attend any 2 questions out of 3 ?

I tried to convert the grading, when i do so the grading is getting converted into 6.67 for each question.

Kindly please help.

select

Average of ratings: -
In reply to paul john

Re: selective question grading

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I believe that your 6.67 per question is the result of this quiz being worth a Maximum grade of 20. To convert 13.33 to 100%, you might need to create a grade book item using an equation. But there might be other ways.

Out of curiosity, why are you not grading all three questions? Why stop at two?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by paul john -
Thanks for your reply sir.

Yes sir. I understood that the grade is taken as 1/3 of the Total marks.

Unfortunately the University test pattern is framed in such a way that students should get 3 questions and in which they should have a choice to attend any 2 alone. This pattern is the reason why I am not grading all 3 questions.

Could you please tell me the possibilities and procedure sir ? How to make students attend only 2 questions and grade only 2 and the output value should be for total 20 marks.?
In reply to paul john

by Rick Jerz -
In the grade book, I would create another grade item and make this be an equation, based on the actual quiz. In the grade book, I would hide the actual quiz score.

I don't memorize all the functions available, but the concept is to award 20 points if a student get 13.66. But you have do decide your grade logic. For example, if a student answers one question correctly out of the three, do they get 50%?

There may be other ways, but this is how I am thinking right now.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Paul and Rick,

Assuming the grade logic is that a student gets 50% if (s)he answers one question correctly out of the three, then the calculation in the gradebook is quite simple.

• Set the maximum mark for each question to 10.
  • Set the maximum grade for the quiz to 30.
  • In the Gradebook / Setup / Add grade item / set Maximum grade to 20.
  • For the new grade item, Edit / Edit calculation / set Calculation to =quiz_id
where quiz_id is an 'Id number' set in the quiz settings and under 'Common module settings'.
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Rick Jerz -
Yep, that should do it. I knew someone (meaning you) would be able to describe this in your dreams!

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Please read:
  • For the new grade item, Edit / Edit calculation / set Calculation to  =[[quiz_id]]  (←rewrite, don't copy/paste)

by Rob Frank -

I was about to post a similar question. I have a quiz with two sections. Section 1 with 30 multiple choice questions worth 50% of the quiz. Section 2 select 3 of 5 essays, worth 50%. Any suggestions on how and if I can set this up? Thanks!

In reply to Rob Frank

by Rob Frank -
I should note. In the past, I just place all 5 essay questions in one question and instructed the students to respond to 3. However, I would prefer to have them as separate questions so they can be randomly generated.
In reply to Rob Frank

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Robert,

If I understood you correctly, it's easy to get what you want. Just make sure that the sum of the "Maximum mark" of the 30 questions in Section 1 is equal to 50% of the total marks for the quiz, and that of the 3 essays in Section 2 is also equal to 50%.

For example, set the "Maximum mark" to 1 for each of the 30 questions, for a total of 30 points, and set the "Maximum mark" to 10 for each of the 3 random essays, also for a total of 30 points, for a grand total of 60 points. Hence, the first section counts for 30/60 = 50% and similarly for the second section. You can then set the "Maximum grade" for the quiz to the desired value, for example 100.

by Rob Frank -
Thanks. The issue is I want to count only 3 of the 5 essays. One thought was to assign each essay a grade of 6, which will total 30 and thus 50% as you discussed. And then manually figure out and distribute the grades when the essays are graded.
In reply to Rob Frank

by Dominique Bauer -

Robert,

You must decide how you want to proceed. There are two ways:

1. You present 5 essays to the students, but you will only correct 3.
  2. You present 3 essays to the students, chosen randomly from a bank of 5 questions.

Choice 1 is dealt with above, in the response to the original poster (OP).

Choice 2 is the one you seem to want, according to your previous posts. If so, the directions I gave you should work. smile

In reply to Rob Frank

by Emma Richardson -
This might be a good solution. You could still randomize. Just change the selection of essay questions in multiple questions and then randomize those. So you have three questions, for example, with different variances of the selection of essay questions you want.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rob Frank -
Thanks Emma. I was thinking of that idea too. I just need to be sure I have a large enough pool of questions available. I am going to try this option.