[3.7] Timed questions

[3.7] Timed questions

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I know it's possible to set a time limit on a quiz, but is it also possible to set a time limit per question?

Or do I need a different module for this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: [3.7] Timed questions

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Richard,

Timed questions are a recurring request. See for example:

Moodle forum discussions:  2011-09-13,  2011-12-29,  2011-12-29,  2012-04-05,  2016-08-17,  2019-01-30,  2019-04-19,  2019-10-05,  2019-10-27,  2020-0409,  2020-05-20.

Client side javascript approach.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Thank you very much for this! Has there ever been filed a tracker as well?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Don’t know? What have you discovered in your searching, Richard?
In reply to Rick Jerz

That the past is a lesson, the present is a gift and the future is a motivation?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
For me the past has mostly been quiz , as lesson is a bit hard to use and has a limited number of question types.

by Rick Jerz -
Okay, you have found some philosophy, and thanks for sharing.

But if you put your post topic, "timed questions" into Moodle Tracker, are you finding "gifts" or "lessons?"
In reply to Rick Jerz

I'm Dutch, don't be polite and give it to me straight. I'm used to that.

Your questions seem like riddles to me and probably you want to tell me that there's a tracker and that 'no, it's not going to happen'.

No worries.

by Rick Jerz -
Oké, misschien is dit voldoende. (I probably messed that up. 😕)
I am just trying to encourage you to do some searching on your own. Sometimes when a student asks me a general question, I wonder "Have they forgotten how to do an Internet search?" So, I don't know. If you find an Open item, you can add to it. If an item is Closed, it might contain the answer, not saying that the answer is valid or invalid. And, you might find work-arounds. But your question came across to me like "Has anyone searched Google for Michael Jordan and found anything?"

I am not trying to be rude. I was trying to be "instructional" as I would be with my students.  Maybe I put my instructor hat on at the wrong time.

Well, sorry about not being more helpful, Richard.  (My tone is meant to be pleasant, not yelling or anything like that. Just chit-chatting.)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

I like your answer, thanks. And off course you are right. Some of the time, actually most of the time, I do the searching myself. But there are these times where teachers keep asking for something and at some point you just think: hell I don't know, I will ask at the forums.

This was such an occasion I guess.

And don't ever apologize for being honest ;) Your Dutch is flawless, I guess you found Google Translate or Deepl smile

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, Google Translate is good, but not always "authentic" Dutch.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

An off-the-wall possibility suddenly occurred to me. There are a number of different Generico filter bundles that use timers and others that can reveal/hide text as needed. Makes me wonder if you could make a filter bundle to do a timed question.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)