Embedded files in H5P content not copies across course import.

Embedded files in H5P content not copies across course import.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

A teacher has created an extensive course using H5P content. Then he imported them to another course. The result is that the students in the target course can not access the embedded files in those H5P content. Somehow they "belong" to the original course where the students have no access.

Is it really the case? Can somebody please confirm? How do you avoid/repair this?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Embedded files in H5P content not copies across course import.

by Stuart Mealor -
That is exactly the situation.
Anyone who has worked with H5P and Moodle in depth can tell you this - the H5P content types link back to the original location.
I expect this will not be the case with Moodle 3.9 and the H5P in core (I certainly hope not!) - maybe this is why it's being done through a central repository type approach?
If using the Moodle H5P plugin (e.g. Moodle 3.8 or earlier) you can of course upload the H5P object to the new course, and this will work as expected.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Stuart

Thanks for confirming and the suggested work-around!

I don't know whether H5P is already "Moodle in depth". Whatever, I forwarded your reply to the teacher who had this problem.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
When you import a H5P activity in a course, a new ID is generated, therefore the original embed link doesn't work anymore. A good way to prevent that problem is to use the H5P filter which uses the actual name of the H5P activity for embedding. However, I don't know whether and how well this will work in future Moodle versiones.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matthias Giger

by Stuart Mealor -

Great tip Matthias smile

I think many of us using H5P are awaiting the Moodle 3.9 release so we can evaluate the workflows and functionality, to see if we still need to use the H5P plugin, and what migration from one to the other will look like smile