Archive scales

Archive scales

by Tue Korsgaard -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi community 

We are the Danish moodle partner and can see that a lot of our customers are annoyed by the inability to delete scales - in some scenarios a scale is abandoned in other cases the scales was created by mistake, or with an error. 

It is not feasible to delete an already used scale or even do an recalculation if the scale had an error, since each plugin might include it's own implementation of scale. (And it will be impossible to find the tables a random plugin uses to store the scale setting) . 

Therefore we propose a new feature, so that scales can be marked as archived.  If a scale is marked as archived it must not be displayed on create of new activities or in the gradebook. 

For activities created before the scale was archived, it will still be possible to see the original and update other fields. 

Please share your input whether this a feasible approach. 

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tue Korsgaard

Re: Archive scales

by Stuart Mealor -
There are of course very good reasons for not allowing a Scale to be altered once it is in use. I'm sure anyone who thinks this through will understand why, and the potential impacts on learners of changing a Scale after it has been used!
I do like the idea of archiving, or perhaps "Locking" a Scale.
I use the word locking because it's consistent with the concept of locking a forum discussion.
And yes, locking a Scale would be really good, if it could then not be used for new activities.
Given this, it would makes sense to have a "Replicate" Scale option, to make a quick copy, before locking the old one.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)