glossary xml to text or word?

Re: glossary xml to text or word?

Joseph Rézeau-mit -
Antal besvarelser: 5
Core developers-ip assinga Particularly helpful Moodlers-ip assinga Plugin developers-ip assinga Testers-ip assinga Translators-ip assinga

Hi Mike,

First of all I'm wondering why exactly you would like to have your glossary as a MSWord document. Surely it takes a lot of the interest out of Moodle's autolink system.

You are aware that there is a printer-friendly output of glossaries, which you can output to printer, or virtual printer and from there to e.g. PDF (see this discussion)?

Anyway, if you are using a recent version of Word (Office 2003) you can get a user-friendly output of a Moodle glossary XML file, if you link it to an *.XSL stylesheet.

• Download the attached moodleglossary.xsl stylesheet and save to your computer.
  • Open MS Word and open your glossary, e.g. myglossary.xml.
  • MS Word will show the XML tree structure of the file and the data.
  • It will ask you if you want to do an "XSLT transform", using an external file (or something like that, I don't have an English version of MS Word). Navigate to your moodleglossary.xsl ... et voila what you'll see, e.g. using the Moodle glossary_of_common_terms:

Concept: applet
Definition: <nolink>Applets are small programs written in Java and embedded within web pages. Most recent browsers can run these small programs if you have Java installed on your computer.</nolink>

Concept: CSS
Definition: Abbreviation for "Cascading Style Sheets". CSS defines styles and colours and how they should be applied to a web page.

Please note that if your glossary definitions have embedded images, HTML formatting, etc. all will be lost. Hope that helps.

Joseph

I svar til Joseph Rézeau

Joseph Rézeau-mit -
Core developers-ip assinga Particularly helpful Moodlers-ip assinga Plugin developers-ip assinga Testers-ip assinga Translators-ip assinga
Hi Mike,
Did my 26 Sep. post help you at all? Did you try out my attached xsl stylesheet? Just curious to know.wink
Joseph
I svar til Joseph Rézeau

Nathan Ducker-mit -
Joseph,
I am trying to export my glossary items to excel / word so that I can print them up / cut them out and then give the students a vocabulary describing activity so that they can remind themselves of new words at the beginning of a class.

I read through the documentation until I found your post on this page http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=40357#p476617, but it seems that the link has gone dead, so I have no way of testing it out to see if it works.

Is it possible to post the work sheet again if you still have it?
Thanks,
Nathan