Close moodle multichoice question in latex

Close moodle multichoice question in latex

by Fazeel Jaleel -
Number of replies: 13

I wanted to have a cloze quiz in moodle using latex. Although my close quiz works fine in latex but when I imported the xml file to moodle it gives me error. (I have attached). I am so desperate as need to make final exam. Grealty appreciate your help.

I have also attached latex multichoice question as well.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fazeel Jaleel

Re: Close moodle multichoice question in latex

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

You write "I wanted to have a cloze quiz in moodle..."

This does not exist. In Moodle you can create a question of the Cloze/Embedded question type, and then put that question inside a quiz. Is that what you mean?

"Although my close quiz works fine in latex..." What does this mean? Did you create a quiz outside of Moodle? With which programme?

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Fazeel Jaleel -
Hi Joseph,
Thanks for your reply and appreciate it.
Yes, I use both Moodle and latex to write all my quizzes. but, I use latex to generate formula rich questions in moodle. The latex package 'Moodle’ can do this. Then I import it as XML file to moodle. This works perfectly. Before import the quiz the latex compile the code and produce a PDF so can make sure everything ok. It works well for the close quiz question as well. But, when I have the all the question in the close quiz the 'multichoice' then when I import it as an xml then I get error message although latex compile it without any error.
appreciate any help
Regards,

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Fazeel,

Please attach your XML file.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Fazeel Jaleel -
Hi Dominique,
Thanks for your reply. 
Please find attached for the XML file.

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Fazeel,

As mentioned in the documentation, you must escape the } characters in the latex formulas in the questions, that is, replace } with \}. For example, write {1:MULTICHOICE_V:=\ (7.5K^{0.5\}L^{-0.5\}\)~ etc., not {1:MULTICHOICE_V:=\ (7.5K^{0.5}L^{-0.5}\)~. Then it will work.

by Fazeel Jaleel -
Hi Dominique,
Thanks for your reply. As mentioned, I changed the right side, } in the power ^{} to {\} in my XML file and try to import but no luck yet. The same error message . I have attached the XML new file  the one I changed . When you have some spare time please have a look.
Appreciate your time.
Regards,

by Dominique Bauer -
You did it correctly for the first two questions, but not for the third. If you do it for the third question, it will work: (I have hidden the texts because it will be an exam)

ForumQuiz_20200516_2018.png?time=1589675390058
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Dominique Bauer -
It might also be interesting for you to use a question type, for example STACK or Formulas, for which the students must explicitly provide the answer, for example 7.5 * K ** 0.5 * L ** - 0.5.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Fazeel Jaleel -
Dear Dominique,
That would be fantastic! You are great! Thank you soooooooooo much.
Thanks for the suggestion for stack type explicit answer type question.
Thanks again,

by Fazeel Jaleel -
Hi Dominique,
I don't see STACK question type in my moodle under "question type". Any suggessions?
Thank you,

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Fazeel,

The STACK question type is a plugin. It must be installed by the site administrator. Take a look at the documentation.

The Formulas question type is also a plugin which must be installed by the site administrator. Here is the documentation.

These two types of questions allow you to ask students to enter an equation.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Fazeel Jaleel -
Hello Dominique,
Thank you for the reply. I'll have a look.
Regards,

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The formula question type is easier to install and setup. STACK is much harder to setup but is the Godzilla of Math question types.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)