Hosting Server and Best Hosting Company for Moodle

Hosting Server and Best Hosting Company for Moodle

by Megatrend Solution -
Number of replies: 4

Dear all,

I want to setup Moodle for a whole college of about 30,000 users (Teachers/Students). I need advice on the best hosting server and Hosting company that will be able to accommodate this number of users with fast and high performance with large storage capacity.

The main objective is that I want a server or hosting option that will provide high performance system without disappoint

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Megatrend Solution

Re: Hosting Server and Best Hosting Company for Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Moving to Hardware and performance forum...

That's a proper college. What's your current experience with large Moodle sites?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Megatrend Solution -
I am currently using a shared hosting but virtually everyday the user complain of slow site load. My experience is that the shared host has limitations for I/O Usagae, Maximum File count among others.

I have seen an advice to choose VPS hosting and is the configuration below meet the standard for high page load for 30,000 users:
4 GB RAM
70 GB Storage
2 TB Transfer
4 Cores
In reply to Megatrend Solution

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
30,000 *active* Moodle users?

That's the same sort of size as the Moodle site I run. I have six web servers all about 8 times the size of the spec you mention. A file server with several TB of storage. Redis servers. Enterprise MySQL. And that's before we mention backups and replication.

Unless you mean that the college has 30,000 users but only a few use Moodle I would say you have a problem. In fact, you should find a Moodle Partner who is used to building Moodle services on this scale.