Quiz cheating prevention sofware

Quiz cheating prevention sofware

by Salim Al Waili -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

As you know with COVID 19 crisis most universities are going for online quizzes which are done remotely.

Students chances of cheating are very high.

We are looking for the best free plugin to help in preventing cheating through biometrics software or other ones that will record if student cheat while doing the exam or if someone else is doing the exam on his behalf.

I got to know

https://eproctoring.com/

have any one tried it? Is the free version enough?

Please help as soon as possible.

Thanks

Salim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Salim Al Waili

Re: Quiz cheating prevention sofware

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Have you considered created quizzes by randomly selecting questions?  Doing so might mean that no two students would have the same quiz.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Salim Al Waili -

Yes Rick, that is done already. 

But the idea is that student can open books, asks someone on their behalf to do the quiz etc. 

So we are looking for a better software that captures students while working on the quiz. 

Thank you

Salim 

by Rick Jerz -
Okay.

When your students get out and work in the real world, do you want them to be able to refer to their books?

You might include a "Honesty" question, such as the one that I include below.

Alternatively, you can invest a lot of money into other solutions, and still end up with some students cheating.

This first question must be answered for you to get credit for this exam.
I certify that I am taking this exam independently and that I have not received nor given unauthorized help on this exam, which would be a violation of the Academic Integrity Policy and subject to the penalties described on the syllabus. By clicking "true," I affirm that I am an honest student who completed this exam with integrity. If I am really cheating, I understand that my dishonesty, and being a cheater, will remain with me for the rest of my life.
Select one:
True
False
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ileana Bladé Mendoza -
We have and it doesn't help. The students who want to work together build together a database in google docs or whatever with all the questions, solve them in groups, put them back in the common pool and then select the questions from their own quiz.
You would need a huge question bank so they don't have time to answer ALL questions, even in groups. They are professionals now.
In reply to Ileana Bladé Mendoza

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Your students seem to have developed excellent strategies. cool

As you say, "they are professionals now". What more do you want?

In reply to Ileana Bladé Mendoza

by Salim Al Waili -

I agree with is. That's why we need a software to capture students while conducting the exam. 

And this is what we are looking for. 

by Rick Jerz -
At various MoodleMoots, there have been companies with products to prevent cheating. Some of them use the student's webcam and fingerprint, or other personal features to make sure that they are the correct student. All that I can say is that I have seen these companies, but I haven't taken an interest in them. My school uses "Proctoral" I believe. But again, I haven't taken an interest in this. I prefer the randomization method.

Recently, I did hear about an interesting cheating case, maybe here on Moodle.org. Apparently one of these elaborate "cheating software" solutions was being used, and the student figured out how to share their computer with a friend. In other words, the friend was mirroring the "student's" computer screen, and doing the typing and answering. (Now I recall, that issue was described here on Moodle.org because the original poster was wondering which IP address Moodle would be logging.)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)