Grade Report by question tag/topic

Grade Report by question tag/topic

by Otoniel Ysea -
Number of replies: 10

Hello!

I would like my students to have a customized grade report based on certain topics covered in the quiz. While adding the questions to the exam I tagged each of them with a specific topic on the "other tags" section, to, later on, be able to get a report on what type of questions (topic) each student did not do well on, thinking that it may help them review their weaknesses. However, I have not been able to get such a report; nor the general feedback shows the topic of the question when my students review their quiz attempt. Is it possible at all to get a report that calculates subgrades for specific question tags? I think them having an overall sense of how they performed on certain areas/topics is more valuable for their improvement goals; they may know where to focus on to raise their performance in the future exams. 

I appreciate any kind of help in this regard! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Otoniel Ysea

Re: Grade Report by question tag/topic

by Aaron McEntire -

I would like something very similar to this as well.  We have questions tied to learning objectives and would like to provide feedback on which LOs the students missed without revealing the questions themselves after submission of the quiz.

In reply to Otoniel Ysea

by Marie-Eve Lévesque -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
We would also want that! A report or subgrades by tag/topic/section or anything like that.

Since there is not a lot of answers here, I guess it doesn't exist, neither in the core nor plugins... Does somebody know if it is something planned in the next versions of Moodle?
In reply to Marie-Eve Lévesque

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am fairly confident it does not exist, but someone familiar with one of the Moodle reporting tools could build it. This site probably contains enough information to make a start www.examulator.com/er

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The solution is to write custom SQL.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Marie-Eve Lévesque -
Thanks Marcus and Rick for your answers! And for the link Marcus, I will keep it for future references for sure!

From this discussion and other searches I made in the last days I also believe it doesn't exist yet. My team and I will have to implement it ourselves in the next months!

We will probably do it based on the sections of the quiz, and not the tags. It best suits our needs. Right now I think we will :
  • Create a new Quiz Report plugin, similar to the Quiz Grades Report, allowing the teacher to view grades by quiz sections instead of questions
  • Modify the attempt review page so that the teacher and the students can view the grades for each section while reviewing an attempt

When it is done we will probably submit the new report plugin so anybody can use it. For the quiz attempt review, I think we will have to modify the core, so it won't be easy to share it.

by Marie-Eve Lévesque -
For those interested, a few months later, here it is! https://moodle.org/plugins/quiz_markspersection A new quiz report plugin for teachers to view marks by quiz sections.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Marie-Eve,

Congratulations on your great contributions.

TLTR:

I see that you are an analyst-programmer and that you have contributed several Moodle plugins. You have worked with colleagues from your institution, the University of Montreal. Issam (programmer), Mélissa (web analyst-programmer) and Serge (IT analyst) are mentioned as contributors to these plugins.

I also see that you studied at ÉTS. Hope you enjoyed your time there.

As you may know, I am a professor of structural engineering (not computer science) at ÉTS in the Department of Construction Engineering. I am particularly interested in the plugin for the Formulas question. Officially, I'm the new maintainer.

On the IT side, things don't seem to be at ÉTS the way they are at the University of Montreal. The policy of our IT Department is clear: there will be absolutely no support or no collaboration on any project that a professor may propose, both for system support and for programming, especially programming. I was formally forbidden to seek any help whatsoever from our IT Department, even just for the maintenance of my documentation site on the Formulas question (https://moodleformulas.org/).

Very little has been done recently regarding the development of the Formulas question. I have absolutely no help from anyone, and I only made one update last year. I must do the others without too much delay...

I am of retirement age and personally I have absolutely no interest in devoting even a minute to the Formulas question, apart from the fact that it gets me out of boredom and that, as long as I will teach, I would be somewhat bothered if the Formulas question was no longer available. But I could still manage with other types of questions.

It's not that I haven't tried to interest other professors or computer analysts at ÉTS, or that I haven't asked for help. But each time, I come up against total disinterest, grotesque incompetence, sick jealousy or stupid suggestions. I may be exaggerating a little, but the people I am thinking of might recognize themselves. sad

I would still like to end on a positive note. So anyways, the Formulas question will continue its hobbling life and the earth will continue to spin (with or without humanity).
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Marie-Eve Lévesque -
Hi Dominique,

I will send you a private message about your last post, but for your plugin seeking a maintainer (or for others in the same situation), there is an "Adoption program" : https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Plugins_adoption_programme
and a forum : https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=8149 where you might find some help...

Hopefully an institution using the plugin will want to maintain it?

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Bonjour Marie-Eve,

Thank you for your post and your message.

Moodle trusted me by letting me maintain the Formulas question plugin. I have to honor my commitment to do it right. I just regret the lack of interest and help from my school, which seems to me to be acting ridiculously stupid on so many occasions.

On the other hand, your message made me understand the reality that many people in IT are probably experiencing. It was a real pleasure to read it. You say things honestly and it's quite a change from my conversations with the shifty people at my school. Anyways, as I said earlier, the Formulas question will go on, hobbling along, and "Tout va très bien madame la marquise":

By the way, the Formulas question is great for quizzes in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) and any other field where you have to do calculations, use random data, use units, etc.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)