Undefined problem with numerical questions (Cloze)

Undefined problem with numerical questions (Cloze)

by Paul K -
Number of replies: 3

Hi. We have a huge problem with numerical questions in the quiz activity, Moodle version 3.8.1. By some students the answers provided for the numerical questions are not graded correctly.

For example embedeed numerical question (Cloze): {1:NM:=418,5:2} should be graded as correct for the answer: 418,5. Unfortunately by some students, such answer is graded as wrong. We are using questions banks, so the question format is the same.

Unfortunately, until now, I was not able to reproduce this error. We are seeing only that by some students the answers are not properly graded.

I will appreciate for any suggestion. This problem exists since the last Moodle update.

Unfortunately until know I was not able to reproduce this error.

Before the update we have used Moodle 3.6.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul K

Re: Undefined problem with numerical questions (Cloze)

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I think this may be a language setting issue. In English the comma may be optionally used to separate thousands in large numbers typographically. So the numerical question ignores commas in some cases. If same answer is graded differently for different users, they probably have different preferred language settings.

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Paul K -
Dear Daniel,

it can be. I have used different students accounts and it is not possible to reproduce it. This course is in German language with default language under course settings. I have already forced to use the Englisch and German language on the course level without success.

It looks like this:
Numerical question
In reply to Paul K

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In the picture above the feedback is appearing in English. So I would assume that it thinks 528,5 = 5285 which is why it is marked wrong.