Move from Assessment to Closed Phase automatically

Move from Assessment to Closed Phase automatically

by Fabian Glagovsky -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi,

We use workshops extensively at our University, but due to the fact that we have many instructors in each course, with separate groups, I removed permissions from them to move the phases. They used to interfere with each other to let a student a little more time to submit.

That forces me to move the phases for all courses manually.

I have set them up so that it moves automatically from submission to assessment phase with a scheduled allocation.

However, I need an improvement to the module so that it can move from assessment phase to closed phase automatically at the end of the assessment phase.

The required clicks for each workshop are currently five:

1. Click on the light bulb to move the workshop to the grading phase.

2. Confirm the movement.

3. Click on the Regrade button so that grade averages are calculated. Wait until this happens (some courses are large, this takes sometimes half a minute or more).

4. Click on the light bulb of Closed phase.

5. Confirm the change of phase. Wait (in our largest course it has taken half an hour for a single workshop to show me the result with the workshop closed, as the operation triggers sending the grades to the grade book).

I found that I can't rush this process by moving to the next workshop or the index of grade items gets screwed and grades are not sent to the grade book.

I would need some kind of addition to the module so that these five operations are done without my intervention, on the background. Is this possible? This is now taking me 5 hours of work every week (80-100 workshops per week all need closing at the same time).

Is something like this in the plans?

Best,

Fabian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fabian Glagovsky

Re: Move from Assessment to Closed Phase automatically

by Timothy Takemoto -

I can't help Fabian of course but, relatedly unlike e.g. the Quiz Module (which is generally the only one I use!), the Workshop module does not automatically switch to the "Submission Phase" neither when one creates/posts the module, nor at the start of submissions date unless one clicks on the Submission Phase light bulb afaik.

Searching for Set-up phase and Submission phase on the Moodle docs does not seem to say that manual phase change is necessary. There does not seem to be mention of the light bulb (if that is what it is, it is certainly what it looks like).
https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Using_Workshop#Assessment_phase

Addition of reference to the phase light bulbs would be good but I think it would be great if all the phase changes had some sort of automatic option. E.g. "Move to submission Phase at start of submission period automatically."

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Kara Rosemeier -
I second a request for automatic switching of all workshop phases. I use workshops for non-graded peer review, and have to manually switch from assessment phase to close all the time. I would like the option to automate just as the switch from submission to assessment phase can be automated. I know that people have argued that there shouldn't be an automatic switch from grading to close, and I can see that this doesn't work for everyone. But I can't see any harm in giving the option to those who are better served with an automatic switch. I constantly have to remember to switch workshop phases - it shouldn't be that hard.
In reply to Fabian Glagovsky

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just noting MDL-27238 and there is the overall plan for the Workshop to change the workflow so that

• phases are not per-workshop but per-student. So the class does not need to wait for the last students to finish their work. Instead, submissions are waiting in the "pool" and once there are enough reviewers available, each one can be allocated (with configurable parameters such as how many spare reviewers must be there to still keep some level of randomness etc).
  • there will still be the ability for the teacher to hard-set all submissions to certain state, e.g. mark them all as ready for allocation etc.

I believe this will address the cases raised in this discussion, too.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Kara Rosemeier -
Sounds good - as long as phase switch can be automated regardless of whether there's an individual or group switch!
In reply to David Mudrák

by Fabian Glagovsky -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi David,
Thank you for replying. I will read it carefully, but I hope it will maintain backwards compatibility just in case.
Best
Fabian