competencies of question

competencies of question

by Edwin Lynd -
Number of replies: 4

Is it possible to link a quesion to its competencies?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edwin Lynd

Re: competencies of question

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
No - Competencies are linked to a course activity.
Quiz, Lesson, Book, etc.

There are probably creative ways around this, if you do not have to build multiple 1-1 relationships to achieve your desired outcome.

In the end, what does your reporting or Competent Overview need to display?
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Peter Fryatt -

Hi Shirley, may I give an example of the competencies I'm trying to track in my course? I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

I have nine Topics in a Course. Each Topic has its own Quiz. Each Quiz has one Competency fulfilled by completing the quiz and achieving 75% or over (each quiz has ten questions).

For example, I have a Physics Topic that has a Physics Quiz, with ten Physics questions. If the Physics quiz is completed at the 75% pass mark, then the student is awarded the Physics competency.

I would also like to assess at the question level within a topic. In the Physics quiz I have Physics questions that may also be categorised as 'numerical reasoning', 'graph interpretation', 'ability to use a formula', etc., each of which are important competencies for me to track as I assess each student. It is still important to me to be able to assess the high level competence of Physics and the other topic subjects (e.g. Fault Diagnosis, Materials, Fluid Dynamics, Electronics, etc.).

Is my only option to have a quiz for each specific competency (e.g. 'numerical reasoning', etc.) within each topic? Or are there any other mechanisms for reporting competence performance within a topic?

Thanks again in advance for any ideas you may have.

In reply to Peter Fryatt

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Only activities can be linked to a competency. If you need to link a question to a competency, each question must be a separate quiz activity.

IMHO - Your setup will require admin diligence to maintenance. I would instead, create the Physics Topic competency and in the description state - Student has achieved competency in the following methods; numerical reasoning, graph interpretation, ability to use a formula....

The Physics Topic competency is only awarded when all quizzes have been completed with a passing score.
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Peter Fryatt -
Thank you for your quick reply Shirley, much appreciated - especially that you have had to repeat yourself on this topic! smile

I will try the description state you suggest and track them that way.

Thanks again.