How to install in our own server

How to install in our own server

by Vandana M -
Number of replies: 5

Do we need to pay and use moodle?

I'm planning to create my courses in moodle, I can get my own server space and domain

can I install Moodle in my own server or should I purchase it

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vandana M

Re: How to install in our own server

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There's suddenly a load of questions like yours. I wonder what people have been reading?

You can download Moodle "for free" and install it yourself. No licenses and no cost.

Or, you can pay someone else to do it for you. One possible option for that is MoodleCloud.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Covid19 obviously sad

Been watching the growth/exposure of sites like: https://elearningindustry.com/

Moodle Marketing?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Yes, maybe a bit of confusion.

I decided to go to moodle.com (not .org) and from my quick glance, the "Build your online learning site in minutes" section suggests to "Choose the plan that's right for you" starting at $80 AUD/year. So, this might cause some people to ask "Is Moodle free?"

And, if someone finds "moodle.org," the "Get Started Today" takes a person to the same pay-for web page as above.

And, if someone happens to finds moodlecloud, they will see the "free" choice, but this says "trial." The starter is $80/year.

So what is the best way to have people realize that yes, moodle is free, but you need a "server" for it. It is correct that "moodle is free" but only truly free if your school or organization already has servers. This can be confusing.

I don't have any suggestions to fix this confusion.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, the code IS free and there are no licenses and such.

Unlike many so-called "open source" projects which are anything but free (some of which have been forks of Moodle). So I do understand people's concerns.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Vandana M -

Thank you

It's reconfirmed from you sir

We will work on this and thank you