Particular users don't get mail

Particular users don't get mail

by Paul Serre -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I have an issue with forum email.

All users receive perfectly all mails. But forum the forum activity, some users don't receive it.

I check everything : notifications parameters, subscription to the forum....

The particular user who don't receive emails has a gmail adress. You could say to me that it's gmail's fault but no, because this user receive assigment/messages notifications perfectly. You could say to me that it's his "Notificaitons parameters"'s fault, but I check and they are activated. You could say to me that it's his forum subscription, but I checked too and he is subscribed to the forum...

First I tought it could be because he was the teacher, but we tried as a student and it didn't work.

Have you some ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Serre

Re: Particular users don't get mail

by Paul Serre -

I look at the cron execution and it seems that everything work well:

Execute scheduled task: Envoi des messages et maintenance des forums (mod_forum\task\cron_task)
... started 01:00:03. Current memory use 20.8Mo.
Removing old digest records from 7 days ago.
Removed all old digest records.
Fetching unmailed posts.
Done
Processing post information
Processed 1 posts
Filling caches
  Filling course cache
  Done
  Filling forum cache
  Done
  Filling discussion cache
  Done
  Filling user subscription cache
  Done
  Filling digest cache
  Done
All caches filled
Queueing user tasks.
  Processing 3 users
    Queued 0 digests and 1 messages for 149
    Queued 0 digests and 1 messages for 6
    Queued 0 digests and 1 messages for 2
  Queued 0 digests, and 3 individual tasks for 3 post mails. Unique users: 3 (0 ignored)
All tasks queued.
... used 19 dbqueries
... used 0.038679122924805 seconds
Scheduled task complete: Envoi des messages et maintenance des forums (mod_forum\task\cron_task)

In reply to Paul Serre

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am far from an expert on email, and hopefully others here on Moodle.org will help. However, I am not sure that I understand your probem.

1) It is only forum posts where you experience the problem. Right?
2) Some users, but not all, do not get emails from forum posts. Right?
3) And only one user, with a gmail address, doesn't get their email? Right? Or do all gmail users not get forum posts?
4) I have no idea what "you tried as the teacher." Is the teacher getting forum posts? Did the teacher switch their role to student, and then didn't get emails? Or did this teach log in as the student?

The questions that I as might help others help you.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Paul Serre -

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Sorry, perhaps I didn't describe my problem like I should have.

1) Yes, it's only with forum posts. For assignment or forgot password for example, it works.

2) Yes, but I prefer to say that they're all subscribed in the forum, and they all have the notifications activated.

3) Actually, I juste have 3 accounts for testing: an admin with a gmial adress, a user with an email of my domain, an other with a gmail email. The one with my domain email receive mails from forum, but not the others.

4) I've tried receiving email: whether the person with the gmail address is a teacher or a student, they don't get anything.

In reply to Paul Serre

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Try adding another user with a different email address, like something with a .edu. Or maybe an icloud.com, or something different. At this point, you have only two, gmail and yourdomain. This is not enough for testing. You need a few more.

Also, make sure that the new user is added to the course.

Also, log in as one of these gmail users and make a forum post. Do you (yourdomain.com) get it?

Again, I am not an expert at email. I am just suggesting things that I would try.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Paul Serre -
Finally, I identified that the mail is just send to one user. It doesn't matter the email domain.
I removed the student with my domain email. Itleft only one teacher and one student (both with gmail). They received well. After, I added the user with my domain email, and now only the gmail adress receive the mail.

So, the problem now is that only ONE student get the mail...
In reply to Paul Serre

by Paul Serre -
Okay, I find a solution.
I've seen, after long hours or research in moodle's forum, that many people have had this issue.
One of them has suggested removing and reapplying the cron task in my server. And it works. I don't know from where come the problem, but it worked. I hate solving problems like this, but in this case I didn't find any other option.