HINT button

Re: HINT button

by henny jellema -
Number of replies: 16
Bless the Lord for grandchildren.
Almost 2 years ago I got myself a new laptop and I kept my old desktop for the grandchildren (to game and so on)
And this afternoon I thought : "Wait a minute. On that old desktop I think I still have Hot Potaoes 6 without Hot Potatoes 7. Let's give it a try.
And yes, there was only HP 6.
What a difference for Hp-exercises in Moodle! Most of the exercises work without any problem. Modifications and all.
I wonder if it possible to isolate HP6 and HP7 good from each other. (suppose, one has one computer)
I'm not sure about the grandchildren. Now they have to share the computer with their granny. smile .. I'm not sure to let them on the new laptop...
Hgv, Henny
In reply to henny jellema

by henny jellema -
Dag Gordon,
I made this exercise: https://static.digischool.nl/oefenen/hennyjellema/luisteren/steensoep/kortezinnen/lezen-01.htm with HP7 and forgot to modificate it to HP6. They worked beautifully in Moodle, complete with the modifications of Agnes Simoret, except ...the saving of the results didn't work. Oh, of course, wrong HP version. Because the results are important and I should have remembered to use HP6.
I modificated the exercises to HP 6 and then the sound doesn't work at all.
So with HP7 no results and with HP 6 no sounds. Can it be caused by me making it in HP7 in the first place?
I have tried a quiz of Moodel itself, named word-select, which can do the same activity, more or less. But there some strange problems with the feedback. A found after some search the maker of the quiz type and the man discovered that the bugs were there because of me using more as one sound file on one page.
Is that maybe here also the reason that I do not have any sound?
If you are willing to look at it I can give you access to my Moodle (www.hennyjellema.nl/moodle) with all the rights you need.
Hartelijke groeten,
Henny

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Henny,
It sounds like a complex situation. Let's try to break it down into smaller parts and solve the problems one by one.

As you know, the current HotPot module can only deal with HP6 files, so let's talk only about HP6.

I understand that you have a HP6 exercise that uses audio, but the audio does not play when the exercise is added to Moodle as a HotPot activity. Is that correct?

Please upload add the HP6 exercise to my test server and add it as a HotPot activity there, so that we can both look at it together:

Thanks,
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by henny jellema -
Dag Gordon,
How nice of you to give me this opportunity.
I loggedd myself in and uploaded the file. Steensoep-01*)
But ..... in your Moodle the sound works perfect! That is fine, but why doesn't it work in my own? As far as I can see I take exactly the same steps as I just did in yours .....
Hgv, Henny

*) A funny story about a bum knocking on the door of a very miserly woman asking for something to eat. But she doesn't care. Then he says he will make her a soup from a stone. He just needs a little water and an onion. He starts and she becomes very curious. Then he says: The soup will be much better with a potato ... Well, ok, she still has ... etc ... At the end they eat delicious soup together.

by henny jellema -
Oh dear, I cheered too early. The sound works perfectly, but the check button and the hint button do not give any response.
Hgv, Henny

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Henny,
You added your HP exercise as a "resource". I think that's why there are problems with the functionality.
Please add your HP exercise as a HotPot activity. Do you know how to do that?
Gordon

by henny jellema -
I did that before and I have done it again. smile) with another attempt, but things are not becoming better.
I have checked and double checked that I used HP6 , I uploaded the 8 files one by one from my own folder here.... Can it be that the modification (Find-it from Michael Rottmeier) is disturbing my fun?
Hgv, Henny
Gordon, completely outside the subject, but have you read the book
"I Called Him Necktie" by Melena Michiko Flasär? She is an Austrian writer with a Japanese mother. I was very impressed with the book, which is about what is called "hikikomori" in Japan. The story is terrible, but fascinatingly written!

by henny jellema -
That will say, I thought I knew how to do that. How difficult can be, not?
But I'm not that sure anymore, because it doesn't work at all.
In Hot Potatoes we have a file what I always call a template. They have the extensions .jqz; jcl and so on. With that, we make html files. (and from Martin Holmes I learned I shoud write htm; I forgot why) I uploaded these htm files plus the accessory files (sound, pictures). I tried them one by one and also with a ZIP-file and upload that to Moodle. (within a folder) Then I start an Hot Pot with this (screenshot) and bring the Zip file there.
But there is no blessing on all that work for the time being.
Hgv, Henny
Attachment hotpot.01.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -
Thank you Henny, for creating the HotPot activities.
I agree that there do seem to be some problems.
Please give me some time to investigate.
Regards, Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Henny,
the HotPot module could not detect the URLs in the <audio> tags in your HP exercises. Sorry about that.
You specified the audio files like this:
  • <audio src="audiofile.mp3"></audio>
But the HotPot module was expecthing this:
  • <audio><source src="audiofile.mp3"></audio>
I have now fixed the HotPot module so that it can detect and adjust the URLs in <audio src="...">
As a result, the audio will play in your exercises if you upgrade the HotPot module on your Moodle site.

I noticed that you have created this exercise as a "Find It (b)" exercise. As Michael Rottmeier himself says here, this kind of activity is supposed to be "a text which contains mistakes which s/he has to find and correct". When the student clicks on an incorrect word, they are then supposed to type in a new word that is different from the incorrect word. Having a "Hint" button to give the next correct letter in the correct word makes sense in such a situation.

However, in the "Steensoep.01" exercise that you have created, the "correct" word is exactly the same as the "incorrect" word, so students don't have to type in a new word; they just have to find the incorrect words. Therefore, I seems to me that this exercise would be more suitable as a "Find It (a)" exercises.

I found that the "Hint" button, which is labelled "oplossingen" in your exercises, does work. That is to say, if you click on a wrong word, such as "donkere" in the 2nd phrase, then remove all the letters and click on the "oplossingen" button, a new letter will be inserted into the text box. 
Furthermore, once all of the incorrect words have been found, clicking the "Check" button, which is labelled "controleer" in your exercises, will initiate the sending of your score and results back to the Moodle site.

Best regards,
Gordon

by henny jellema -
Dag Gordon,
Thank you for your specific explanation.
Now first about the HINT button. Yes, that's even the title of this discussion. But it is not the stone soup problem.
My HINT button question was about this exercise.
https://static.digischool.nl/oefenen/hennyjellema/UITSPRAAK/dictee.05-04/UITSPRAAK.D-05-04.htm
This is actually a simple dictation of words. There, a HINT button can be very useful. It is not working properly yet in Moodle, but it may be that I have to check again whether I have used HP6. I made that exercise before I realised, how serious I have to be with the difference between HP6 and HP7. And have not had the time to look at it again.
(smile) in between a very lovely granddaughter is born! )
How I strayed to the FIND-it story? I actually do not know. At work there was some kind of corona panic and a lot of problems had to be solved at the same time. The stone soup was suddenly more urgent than the dictation.
About the sound. You write "As a result, the audio will play in your exercises if you upgrade the HotPot module on your Moodle site."
Ai .... how am I going to do that? The Hot Pot Module was installed by a good friend of mine ... Should I ask him again for that upgrading?
Hartelijke groeten, Henny

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Henny,

Please could you upload the "stone soup problem" exercise to my development server. Add it as a HotPot activity, and include the original JCloze file, ".jcl" file. Although it is made with HP7, there may be a way to get your exercise to function in Moodle.

Regarding the <audio> tags in your exercises, there are two ways to fix that problem.

• add a <source> tag to all your <audio> tags like this:
    OLD: <audio src="audiofile.mp3"></audio>
    NEW: <audio><source src="audiofile.mp3"></audio>
  • ask your good friend to update the HotPot module on your Moodle site.

Hope that helps,
Gordon

by henny jellema -
Dag Gordon,
My good friend did the upgrading and I think that is at least one improving.
I dropped in total 7 examples in your moodle (course fullname 101)
I tested all the possibilties with the code for sound.
The first 6 exercises with different ways of doing the sound, but there is a problem with the sound, or there is a problem with the buttons or with both.
Hope you can find a solution.
That 7th example is a Jmix exercise and I uploaded it for you, to show that it is not always 100% misery. Because that exercise works perfectly in my Moodle; my students are enthusiast! But .......... then it does not in yours.
This seems to me the upside-down world, but it is really true.
Hgv, Henny

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Henny,

there is a problem with the sound,
or there is a problem with the buttons or with both.
Hope you can find a solution.

It is helpful for me if you describe the problems more specifically. If you give me specific details about a specific issue in a specific exercise, I can investigate more quickly and help you more quickly.

If you give me link directly to an exercise that doesn't look or behave as you expect, I can help you even more quickly.

Also, please supply me with the correct answer of any exercise you wish me to look at, so that I can test it more quickly. I'm afraid my Dutch skills are not sufficient to solve the tasks you have set me wink

by Gordon Bateson -

Henny,
regarding the "test find-it.03" exercise, I think you wish to use the ".jcl" file as the source file, and display the activity as a "Find-It (b)" exercise, right?

In that case, I changed the "Display => Output format" to "FindIt (b) from HP6 JCloze xml". I think it now behaves as you expect, right?

For my reference, the correct answers are:

• donker
  • zieke
  • snel
  • binnen, ook
  • helemaal
  • graag, altijd

Note, this exercise refers to an image file called "prent.01.JPG", but no such image file had been uploaded to the "Source file" area for this Hotpot activity, so I added a simple graphic of the letter "a" to take its place.

by Gordon Bateson -

Henny,
Regarding the "test Jmix with sounds" exercise, this behaves as expected, right?

For my future reference, the correct answers is:

• [Waar] [zou] [die] [luie] [jongen] [toch zitten?,"] [zuchtte] [de moeder] [van] [Aladin.]