Moodlecloud Website was deleted

Moodlecloud Website was deleted

by Alfonso Balao -
Number of replies: 2

Hi. As the subject says, my Moodlecloud website was deleted due to inactivity because I had to stop teaching the children I homeschool since I had a research project that had to be finished (University Student here btw). By the time I was done with my research, physical distancing and stay-at-home orders were enforced because of Covid-19. I then received instructions I need to compile the children's outputs and grades (conveniently stored in Moodle)

Two weeks ago I tried to access my website, it prompted that my site no longer exists! I immediately posted to support.moodle.com asking if it was possible to recover my website since I also had instructions to prepare to teach the children online, and until now, no reply from Moodle Support.

Yes, I acknowledge that Moodle does send emails reminding me that I should frequently log in to my website, and I did receive those emails it didn't prompt since I sort them using the tabs in Gmail (crazy and lazy, I know).

Any help from anyone is appreciated. Thanks!

Alfonso

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alfonso Balao

Re: Moodlecloud Website was deleted

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Alfonso, sorry to hear that you've lost your site!

as you can imagine - the moodlecloud support team has been slammed in the past few months - with tens of thousands of new sites being created, and many people looking for support, and the support inbox for moodleclouds "free" sites has been hard for them to keep on top of.

As you have found - if your "free" site isn't used it will be deleted - and unfortunately there isn't a process that allows you to recover this. The cost of maintaining backups for all the free sites and a process to restore them is just too high considering the massive number of free sites the moodlecloud system hosts.

The best way to prevent this from happening in future would be for you to upgrade to one of the paid plans - the other thing that would be good for you to do is to use the Moodle course backup process and store a copy of your course backups locally.

all the best!
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Dan Marsden

Re: Moodlecloud Website was deleted

by Alfonso Balao -
Hi Dan, thank you for replying.

It's sad to know that there isn't a way to recover my moodlecloud website. Thank you for the tips you've suggested on backing up and storing it locally. Continue being awesome. Again, thank you!

Alfonso