No theme or talk buttons in chat window

No theme or talk buttons in chat window

by lisa peel -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there

Hope someone can help - we will be using the chat activity for the first time this week and did some testing today.

I am a bit confused as the screen we can see does not look similar to that I see in the documentation - there is no theme button or talk option against the users. In fact we initially used Safari as a browser and found ti wasn't even showing the messages on the main panel (though does so in Firefox and Chrome). In the accessible screen messages do not appear unless you keep clicking on refresh.)

We are running 3.5+ and I made sure I was looking at the documenation for that version.

Any ideas?

Regards

Lisa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to lisa peel

Re: No theme or talk buttons in chat window

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Lisa,

Just wondering whether your site uses a standard theme? A possible reason for the theme and talk options not displaying is because they have been hidden in a custom theme. Hardly anything has changed in the Chat activity in recent versions, so it should look the same in 3.5 as it does in 3.8.

I actually find the theme button and the talk and bleep options not so helpful however!

If you try changing theme, it throws you out of the chat session and when you re-join, you can't see previous chat messages.

The talk option looks like a way of sending a message to just one user, but what it actually does is send a message prefixed with the user's name.

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: No theme or talk buttons in chat window

by lisa peel -

Thanks for the reply Helen.

We did some more testing and for some bizarre reason when we tried again the next morning with different browsers we got the themes, talk, etc, appearing if we used Firefox but not Chrome or Safari so we have advised users to use firefox even though it would not necessarily be their browser of choice.

I'd be interested to know the reason for the differences between the browsers.

Regards

Lisa