Installing and Upgrading Moodle on VPS using cPanel Videos

Re: Ang: Installing and Upgrading Moodle on VPS using cPanel Videos

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I always get things ready in a temporary folder so that I do not accidentally clobber my production Moodle.

Moodle says: Requires: PHP 7.4, MariaDB 10.4 or MySQL 5.7 or Postgres 12 or MSSQL 2017 or Oracle 19c. MariaDB and MySQL somewhat track each other (you can explore their history). I think MariaDB could be recommended a little more than MySQL because MariaDB is open-source, or something like that. I have never used Postgres, so I am ignorant about it. Oracle might be a little less preferred, but it is good to know that it should work because Oracle is a big tech company. But Oracle also owns MySQL.

In my own case, on my VPS, I had options for either MySQL and MariaDB. I decided to go with MariaDB, for whatever reasons. I also run an experimental MAMP on my Mac, and in it, I use MySQL (this was the only choice). I have successfully moved my production moodle (MariaDB) down to MAMP (MySQL), and vice versa.

In my video, when I go too fast, slow your video player down. Most video players have speed controls.