Instructions at top of summary page: a useful option to add?

Instructions at top of summary page: a useful option to add?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I can't remember if I mentioned this in passing in another thread or not, but we just hacked this in our custom theme:

The 'this' I refer to is the ability to have a block of instructions on the summary page, above the table that lists the state of all the questions.

Is this something that you would find useful? (If so, vote for MDL-68489!) Or do you think it would be another unnecessary quiz settings?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Instructions at top of summary page: a useful option to add?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Tim, this seems to be a good idea.  The wording that you show, starting with "Important..." is entered by the instructor, not by Moodle.  Right?

Of course, a quiz already has a Description textbox that shows prior to the Attempt.  So I assume that you are suggesting to create another textbook, called something like "Summary." 

Also, in this example, the "Part A" and "Part B" headings are being picked up by the quizzes page break headings, right?  I do like this, since it can help the student navigate to the exact section more quickly.

The "This attempt must be..." mirrors what the student sees prior to the Attempt, right?  It seems to be a good reminder.  👍

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Some of the things you comment on are how the quiz already works! (Headings in the table & "This attempt must be...")

Yes, all the contents of the blue box is entered by the teacher (and the blue background is just our theme).

The simplest way to code this is to just add another HTML editor element field on the already huge quiz settings form (I guess it could go under layout or appearance).

However, from a usability point of view, it might be better to expand the Edit quiz page, to include a representation of the summary page at the end, and let people edit any instructions in-place there. Indeed, that would be place where we could add the option that some people want, to get rid of the summary page (e.g. for simple one-page quizzes).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yes, you are correct... not new.  Sorry.

Yes, where does one put this "new box" information, in the quiz settings or in the edit quiz page?

Let's see.  When a student click on a link to a quiz, they get the "Description" information, from the quiz settings.  This added box is a box that shows only after the student clicks on Attempt, and it only shows right before the student finishes.  So it seems to be contained within the quiz itself, and not part of the definition of the quiz.  So this would imply that this feature become part of the Edit quiz step.

However, I could argue the opposite.  Let's say that I am setting up a "template" for quizzes, prior to adding questions.  If I wanted to use the same wording for every quiz, I would want this "Summary Statement" become another item in the "quiz settings."

Hmmm, I guess that I could go either way.

In your example (which is just an example) it seems that I would build this into the Description for the quiz.  As I think about how I would use this feature, I might want to remind students "Remember that you must upload your work file after you submit this quiz."  This kind of statement would logically occur right before the student submits, which suggests that the feature becomes part of the "Edit quiz" step. 

Let's see where I end up.

Anything that I want the student sees before Attempting the quiz goes into the Description field, in the Quiz settings.  Anything that I want the student to see right before Submitting goes into the new Edit Quiz feature.  This seems to provide the most flexibility and some of the overall logic.  I can live with this.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)