Looking at forums, vs. blogs, vs. journals, vs. assignments

Re: Looking at forums, vs. blogs, vs. journals, vs. assignments

by Roland Gesthuizen -
Number of replies: 0
I too have been giving some thought about blogs. Users tend to have a bit of ownership about them and it would be sad to throw them out post course exit by embedding them into a course. I am interested how this might work by letting users retain full control over their blog but resolve it for particular courses by the creative use of tagging.
  • a blog could be part of a user (say their profile), not a course.
  • users can define if their blog or particular entries are public / private.
  • There could be provision uploading and attaching a file(s) as currently handled by forum posts or dfwiki.
  • Users can add to each blog entry a specific tag, course IDs or topic keywords
  • Blog entries with a particular tag can be listed within a course as an rss feed for this tag or topic related view.
For example, to create a resource that lists all the posts by my year 9 research students on GlobalWarming, I might only then have to get them to blog their thoughts with the specific tag "y9resgw" then create a course blog object that lists all the occurances of this tag for the entire site or just amongst the users in the course. Perhaps there is also an rss feed for new public posts to each tag.

Just a thought .. I'm guessing that there is already a lot of thinking going into tagging for future moodle versions