Any way to autosubscribe users to an event monitoring rule ?

Any way to autosubscribe users to an event monitoring rule ?

by Yannick Vrolant -
Number of replies: 2

Context (the issue)

Hi folks, we're using a main glossary activity on our frontpage to serve as a FAQ section where we add tutorials on a daily basis (more or less). As of now, users have to go and check if new tutorials have been added. We're willing to have users be automatically notified, at least on the web interface (and maybe by e-mail too).

Exploration (tests already tried out)

To get to this result, I have been exploring several options :

• I have set an event monitoring rule for any new article of this very glossary. It does work, however, there is no way I could make this work automatically : users would have to manually subscribe themselves to this rule (which I did for myself, that's why I know it works fine). It is something I would like to avoid because I am pretty sure they won't do it all or won't know how to do it without asking us for help on how to proceed, (would take another tutorial for subscribing oneself to get notifications for any new tutorial... smile).
  • I have also been thinking of using RSS feeds but then, it is not automatic either (users would have to manually subscribe to the feed and, I might be wrong but I feel like using RSS feeds might have become somewhat "deprecated" and "old-fashioned" nowadays : I am not sure our users would know what it is and how it works).

Remaining questions

Now, I have noted the existence of an optional "autosubscribe" field for user imports but could not really find any details on this (see here : https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Upload_users#Optional_user_fields) : could it be that we could use this field to update existing user accounts and autosubscribe them to our event monitoring rule ? If so, how could this be done ? If not, any idea on how we could make our users be automatically subscribed to this event monitoring rule ?

Thanks for helping,
Best,

Yannick
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Yannick Vrolant

Re: Any way to autosubscribe users to an event monitoring rule ?

by Ryan Hazen -
Yannick, I'm having this issue as well. I'll update here if I find anything smile
In reply to Ryan Hazen

Re: Any way to autosubscribe users to an event monitoring rule ?

by Yannick Vrolant -

Hi Ryan, thanks for keeping us updated if you ever find a way 'cause we did not ! 😝

Best,

Yannick