wiki and dfwiki future compatibility

wiki and dfwiki future compatibility

by Mark Schumann -
Number of replies: 3
I'm looking at using wikis to develop web resources and documentation for staff members in various departments around the school.  Right now, most resources are on static intranet pages that are a pain to keep updated.  In a way, the wikis would be a dynamic staff-managed intranet.

My question is, what would be the best option to use right now for future compatibility?  I know that Moodle is eventually moving towards the dfwiki module, so I want current wiki resources to be available and in the same format in future years to come.  Is the wiki module going to become obsolete down the track, having to rewrite most of the wikis?  At the same time, is it too early to adopt the dfwiki module considering it is still being heavily developed?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Schumann

Re: wiki and dfwiki future compatibility

by Josep M. Fontana -
If you decide to use it, tell your staff members to avoid using the current HTML editor within dfwiki:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=39841
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=39845

I think you'll be fine if you use the dfwiki editor but some users might have a hard time adapting themselves to an interface they are not familiar with.

Ludo and some of the other members of the dfwiki development team hang out in this forum and they'll be able to tell you better than I can, but I think they have already solved or they will solve very soon the problem of importing from the current Wiki into dfwiki.

I am counting on it. I had been using dfwiki for a while in my courses and now I have gone back to the current wiki because of the problems with the HTML editor I mention above. Since this (being able to import from current wiki) is such an important step in the transition, I'm pretty confident it will be handled correctly and I'll be able to transform all the wikis to the dfwiki (soon to be "THE wiki") format.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Mark Schumann -
Thanks for the advice.  Do we know when it will replace the current wiki?  version 1.6? version 2?  I can't see it anywhere on the roadmap.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
HI there,
1)the htmleditopr issue will be solved today.
b) dfwiki import current wiki contents
c) the migration to the new wiki will be user transpartent and painless
and soon
Ludo