Required Common Quiz for verifying active participation

Required Common Quiz for verifying active participation

by Kyle Sellers -
Number of replies: 3

I am looking a Moodle for a possible replacement to our current LMS. One thing we are looking for is a way to ensure active student engagement.  I am aware of the Analytics module, but we are looking for a more active way of ensuring student engagement in their classes. Currently we have a custom module that requires students to take a quiz prior to gaining access to each of their enrolled classes. The content on the quiz is basic university based information.  The way is currently works is they are a guest in the class. they take the quiz and their role is changed to student. As a guest they do not have access to the course material, it just holds them in the participant list. and adds to class to their class list. I realize that things may nor work the same with Moodle but we are looking for some sort of gate activity that will help us verify active participation. So is anyone doing something similar to this or are you aware of any plug-ins that will help us accomplish this

Just a note. I am new at this institution and worked with Moodle previous to this.

Thanks

Kyle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kyle Sellers

Re: Required Common Quiz for verifying active participation

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I am finding it a bit ironic that you have posted this question in the 'usability'. The goal seems to be to give students a bad user experience, by making them jump through some stupid compiance hoop.

If you really want to engage students in the course, put in a quiz at the start "How much do you already konw about this topic?" full fo interesting and thought provoking questions that the course will explain by the end.

Or, have a welcome forum which you actively moderate, again with in intrigueing on-topic question to provoke discussion.

I mean, whatever alleged requiremen that the powers that be, or the status quo, seems to be forcing you to implement. Can you dig into it and try to find out what they really want, and then find a way to achieve that which does not tread your students like naugthy, un-trustworthy boys and girls, becuase I imagine that is not the kind of learning culture you really want to promote.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Required Common Quiz for verifying active participation

by Kyle Sellers -
Tim,
Perhaps I put it in the wrong section, but there are reasons. for the way they are doing this, I have been trying to show how analytics meets the needs for the most part.
I could do a quiz, however I would want an instance of that quiz to be in every class. Is there an easy way to do this. In my past experience with Moodle I never did anything quite like this. so to me it seems I would be importing a quiz multiple times for each course. Is there an easy way to deploy a quiz across all classes?
Kyle