Setup for a Beginner Willing to Learn

Setup for a Beginner Willing to Learn

by Robin Lynam -
Number of replies: 46

Hello All,

So I recently went through the “Learn Moodle Basics,” course.  And everything was looking good until I came to the part about setting up a server for my moodle site.  And can I just say – Damn!!  So anyways, I did a lot of research mostly on these forums and decided to go with setting up my own server.  I remember reading that for the best results do not be afraid of the CLI, and something about CLAS.  I’m going with Linux, specifically CentOS 8.  Which I have to say is a whole new language, new culture, new world that I have to learn.  Mind you I have the time now.  So I am doing a course on learning the CLI for that program (As well as everything else) – it is going to take me a while to learn.  My question has more to do with setting up a moodle program while I am learning about and setting up my server.

I have another computer (laptop) that I am going to dedicate to Linux, and I would then put a finished product of my moodle courses on.  Then when my partner and I start our business in over a month from now, I would then transfer the server and moodle (hopefully) onto a server which a friend of mine has stored away.  I would then use the Linux laptop as a go between from where I normally do work to the finished product which would be the dedicated server – it would be a place where I can work out the bugs and such.

However, I do wish to get started on the development of my Moodle Courses now.  My question – sorry its taken me so long to get here.  My question is can I just set up a virtual box on my normal computer, download CentOS into the virtual box, then download Moodle 3.8 onto that – knowing that I don’t know that much (if anything) about how to run my linux operating system.  And then from there configure a course which I would then transfer onto my dedicated Laptop.  Shall I just follow the directions for download – could it be that easy(ish).  Better yet, could I just download Moodle onto my Windows OS – develop the course from here then transfer it to Linux – is that possible, and/or practical.  Windows version would be great because I know how to get around it (not including anything to do with DOS).  That said I also have a old apple/mac computer I could fire up if that would get the job done.

Also I believe the best – or from what I have read safest version of CentOS is one without a GUI.  So I may use that for my dedicated server, but should I use it for my Virtual Box – or would that be too complicated?

I’m willing to put in the time and energy to learn anything and everything.  But I would also like to know I am going in the right direction.  I have searched the forums for answers to my questions to no avail.

I very much appreciate any help.  Thank you.

Robin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robin Lynam

Re: Setup for a Beginner Willing to Learn

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well- I can't help you with any of the technical side of setting up Moodle but in the meantime you can make courses and get the content ready by signing up for a MoodleCloud site which is already installed and waiting for you.Then when you are happy with your courses make sure you download them and keep them safe to put on your self-installed version of Moodle. 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Robin Lynam -
Hello Mary,

Thanks for replying. I did look into MoodleCloud earlier, but I aim to use a lot of videos not hosted by another server, like youtube. These videos would thus be just on my server and I didn't think MoodleCloud would have the file storage for it all.
This being said, I can always add the videos later. So I will get into MoodleCloud and start setting it up. Thanks
In reply to Robin Lynam

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If you plan to use a lot of videos, then I suggest that you consider hosting these outside your Moodle. Then, you could create a link to your videos and the link takes up almost no space (in MoodleCloud.)

There are a lot of ways you could do this, for example:

Here is a link to "Install Moodle on a Sandbox - PC."

And here is an example of how I embed a video into a forum using the "Insert Video" tool.

In reply to Robin Lynam

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Robin

Nice to meet you - on moodle.org! ;)

Yes, everything you've m mentioned can be done, they are no rocket science. But if couple of them are new to you, it might stall your start and frustrate you. You aim is to start teaching using Moodle as the medium, right? As an analogy, take the case where you want to build your own telephone exchange to make you first phone call! Don't misunderstand. The path is guaranteed to be rewarding, if you are stubborn and have the perseverance. ;)

The smoothest path is surely what Mary suggested. Start Moodle immediately on MoodleCloud and in parallel continue on your path.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Robin Lynam -
Cheers Visvanath,

I'll start off with MoodleCloud.
In reply to Robin Lynam

by James Steerpike -
You are on the right track.

I would second the opinion of going with Moodlecloud for development of courses. That will get you started quickly

For Linux I would go with an install on your spare laptop. My preference would be with Ubuntu, as the Ubuntu docs for install are better maintained. I also think the SELinux on Centos adds little but may cause complications. Still Centos is a good distro and if your course is specific for Centos, the best choice.

I would do a GUI install of Linux on your laptop. You can still use the command line in a terminal window or better still use SSH to connect from your main machine to the Linux machine over your local network

You should be able to set up your server on Linux as you work on Moodlecloud and copy over the courses later. You will probably have to wipe and reinstall Linux several times so doing it on an old machine eliminates the chance of causing a problem on your main machine.

Once you have your local Linux server configured moving to a cloud VPS will be your next step.
In reply to James Steerpike

by Robin Lynam -
Hello James,

Yes, the course I just enrolled in teaches with CentOS, so I'm going to stick with it. Plus, I have heard good things about it.

I have a few questions. If I have a GUI install of Cent or I'm guessing Fedora, and I transfer courses from that GUI to the main CentOS server via an SSH on my local network. Will the fact that I use slightly different OS (One has a GUI and the other doesn't) have any affect on the transfer data/links/formatting. I am quite a beginner here. I have had to look up a few words you mentioned. But I am thankful you mentioned them.

Next question is; Is a VPS like using a Digital Ocean Droplet - I noticed you talking about them in another forum topic. And if so, should I just go with that to begin with instead of using a physical server?
In reply to Robin Lynam

by James Steerpike -

Transferring courses is easiest by creating courses on one machine and backing up the course. The course can then be restored into another Moodle server and this done through Moodle. It doesn't matter about GUI or even if one server has a different operating system or database.  So a Moodlecloud course can be backed up and restored to any similar Moodle  version.

Going straight to a Droplet has its merits.  If your course has a hands on component, it can be your practice area for CLI.  It is cheap enough and very easy to wipe and rebuild if you get it wrong. I think it is important not to rush in  to a Moodle install on Linux. Best to spend more time setting up a domain name, making it  https encrypted and a solid  LAMP stack. Moodle is easy to install if you get the server correctly configured.

by James Steerpike -
Re Ubuntu versus Centos
The Centos instructions are well out of date and begin with Installing Moodle 2.0 on stock version of CentOS 5.5 is not that straightforward due to a limitations imposed by the software available in the default repositories 
The  Ubuntu directions are up to date at Moodle 3.7/3.8
And DigitalOcean has a very nice LAMP stack installation on Ubuntu ready to go with certbot installed and good instructions for https encryption setup.
By all means continue learning Centos but you may find easier to switch to Ubuntu. Other than using apt instead of yum, it should be very similar.

by Robin Lynam -
Cheers James, but I think I'm going to stick with Centos, because I already signed up to a course with it. Forgive me if in the future I ask for help.

by Robin Lynam -
Thanks for the response and the links James. I think I will go with a VB for now. However in the future if there is problems with our physical server, I'll probably then jump onto Digital Ocean and set up my moodle account there. Once I know a bit more about setting up the linux Server.
In reply to Robin Lynam

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'VPS like using a Digital Ocean Droplet '
Seems to be, I find Droplets to be awesome and I believe James uses them as well. Mine is about $US11 a month.
Moodle Cloud is a very good place to start, but you cannot install additional plugins.
In reply to Robin Lynam

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Could write a book!  ... mostly about personal experiences) ... am sure others responding could do same ... but ...

MoodleCloud ... stick with that for now.  Courses you develop there can be
backed up and restored to other instances of Moodle hosted not only locally but on remotely hosted as well.

Learning Linux and running own ... remember, it's a 'journey' and one will never
reach a level as having 'mastered' - at the same time, running a Moodle on one
doesn't require one to be a CLI ninja either!

You mentioned an old Mac ... how old?  Is it running Mac OS 10?  What version?

Think I'd do the VirtualBox (VB) route ... on that Mac if you could.
Main reason for that ... Mac OS is a close relative to Linux.  Has a terminal
and depending upon Mac OS version, comes with PHP and Apache already - although those are Apple distributions of them.

With VB one can run just about any guest OS ... Ubuntu and CentOS both - long term support versions and the newer the better ... although one can get onto 'bleeding edge'.

Reason ... leasing a distro on any provider ... it's 'out there' and in short order
discovered/poked and probed (1 minute).  So if you've not had some practice on what to do with a freshly installed distro, it could become a 'danger' to others and networks/servers in a matter of days.  And if seriously affected, provider, if they are worth their salt would not only inform you but even take your instance down.

https://www.google.com/search?channel=cus&q=installing+VirtualBox+MacOS
https://linuxhint.com/install_centos8_virtualbox/
https://linuxhint.com/install_ubuntu_18-04_virtualbox/

Those won't be good platforms from which to host public access to them so get that out of your mind right now.  But access from another laptop/machine on your home network is possible.

So really one is learning a little networking also ... and that is important as
network comes before application in all of this!

While one could install a GUI desktop in VB guest, don't ... won't find any
GUI tools to actually help with Moodle.  Apache is faceless.  MySQL/MariaDB are faceless. PHP is scripting so is also faceless. 

Package manager (the thing that installs software) about the only GUI tool of use but not quite the same as yum (in your case with CentOS 8, 'dnf' ... 'Dandified Yum').

Once one has a base OS installed and running on VB, next is AMP stack.
Apache/MySQL(MariaDB)/PHP) - versions required by the Moodle you intend to install.

I finished (yesterday) upgrading a CentOS 6 to a CentOS 7 on Rackspace.
I disagree with what one finds for AMP stack installs (before Moodle).  My preferred order ..

1. firewall - ssh restricted - for CentOS .. reputable 3rd party repos ... one being MySQL from the source ... makers of ... Oracle.

2. Apache - 'hardened' (Yes - selinux - modevasive/modsecurity) and under https)

3. DB - again 'hardened' and restricted to localhost only

4. PHP (via repo)

5. open sourced cPanel called Webmin

6. then, and lastly, moodle.
*** install your first moodle using git.  Not only easier to install, but easier
to update and upgrade.

https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Git_for_Administrators

Focus ... you are using git not as a programmer, but an 'informed administrator' of not only the OS, but Moodle.  Can use git on Mac ... can use git on CentOS/Ubuntu as well.

Now in VB one will not be able to run https without jumping through hoops that one will **not be using** when hosted with a provider.

It's a never ending journey ... don't rush to get to the 'candy'!!!  Focus! Don't get distracted by eye candy!

'Spirit of Sharing' (SoS), Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by James Steerpike -
I haven't found install instructions for Centos on Moodle docs which are not completely out of date. I have installed using the step by step Ubuntu guide and found them to be comprehensive, up to date and reliable. I wouldn't advise anyone unfamiliar with Linux to attempt a Moodle install on a VPS without clear and detailed instructions.
The path towards using Moodle as a teacher goes through Moodlecloud. The path to a production server ends with Linux and a Mac install seems to be a diversion to that path, especially for one already committed to learning the Linux CLI .
I can't comment on the insecurity of a server except I have a VPS up for about three years now without a security problem. Maybe I am just lucky but the Droplet lamp install comes with a firewall configured and the usual security precautions of mySQL. At any rate getting a Linux cloud server up and running early gives a window to find problems when there is no problem in dropping and recreating the whole operating system.

by Ken Task -

@James ... this isn't a 'contest' ... and arguments for/against are many.

Ultimately, it's up to the OP ... requester of info.

Git on Mac ... 'diversion' ... not really ... git on a Mac great way to dive into using git for core Moodle code and without having to worry about wrecking anything.  It's a tool to learn a part of the whole.  Not really a waist of time.

'security problem' ... maybe *we* don't really know ... and I include myself there as that area is constantly evolving.  The 'black hats' are usually one step ahead of 'white hats'.  When's the last time one checked the 'secure' log?

'dropping and recreating' ... then one should learn now to do a site backup of Moodle ... remotely store that backup ... as well as re-acquire site backup and restore ... other wise, forward one ... back two?

Anyhooooo!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by James Steerpike -
We all have our preferences. Hopefully we haven't confused our eager to learn beginner too much....

by Ken Task -

Agreed! smile

As OP has already stated 'all the time in the world' ... covis19 lockdown? OP has opportunity/time for plenty of 'hands on' experiences.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Robin Lynam -
Yes, plenty of time, and making the most of it.

I don't think I will be using the mac to download linux. Only because then I wouldn't learn as much about downloading Apache and PHP. Because the end server I don't think will be a Mac. So I would rather learn now how to work it out, then later when I actually install it all.

Thanks for all the help.
In reply to Ken Task

by James Steerpike -

I have some free time too. Which is why I am installing Centos to run natively on Windows WSL today.

Perhaps I can get past my Centos prejudice and be able to update some documentation.

by Ken Task -

Very good! But my first thought is ... why in Windows WSL?  How about droplets where you host now?

I don't ever re-call seeing any distro installation tutorial that ended with how to un-install.  Hmmmm ... not like IE 1.0 on Windows 3.11! (which lead to law suit ... Netscape vs Microsoft).

"Centos prejudice" has to be compared to Ubuntu does it not?   So do a Ubuntu in same environment if still going the WSL route. ;)  Does look like one could have multiple guest OS's in WSL (as one could with VB) ... wonder how WSL really handles a Ubuntu, a CentOS, and throw in the mix a Debian to round it out.

Was this the CentOS doc on Moodle to which your referred earlier?

https://docs.moodle.org/22/en/CentOS_Linux_installation

That could almost be used by changing version numbers ... note I said 'almost'!    It also illustrates the problem with 'documentation' ... out of date in sort order and really doesn't apply to *all* providers of VPS's!!!!

There might need to be notes on particulars per provider if doc to be maintained on Moodle.  And how many providers are there now?  And that is a topic that Moodle HQ has dodged for years ... which providers - but we know why ... answer ... a Moodle Partner.

My recent rebuild of a CentOS 6 to 7 on Rackspace ... chose 'minimal' which was supposed to mean just that .. no apache, no php, no DB.  But when I got to MySQL ... hey!  Lookie there ... MariaDB support libraries already 'pre-installed'!!!  No biggy ... yum did handle it.

It's a journey and an 'adventure'! smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Ken

> I don't ever re-call seeing any distro installation tutorial that ended with how to un-install. Hmmmm ... not like IE 1.0 on Windows 3.11! (which lead to law suit ... Netscape vs Microsoft).

Ha, ha, ha! Times Microsoft, was it Balmer, claimed that the web browser (IE) is an integral part of the operating system (Windows what?). I remember a judge uninstalling IE in the court room! Hu, hu.

So that we don't go off topic, let's prepare a shopping list for the OP:
- Infrastructure
-- Own PC, laptop
-- Own PC, barebone (NUC, Zatox, ..)
-- Own micro, Raspberry Pi, Odroid, ..
-- Own PC, desktop virtualization VirtualBox, KVM, ..
-- Own PC containers, Docker, Ansible, ..
-- Own PC hybrids WSL, ..
-- shared server, Cpanel, Spectaculus,.. with or without root access
-- VPS
-- "cloud" AWS, Azure, ...
-- "rain" droplets
[please extend]

- System software
-- [please fill in]

- Installation method
-- Shell scripts: Bash, Moosh,...
-- Ansible
-- Docker
-- One-click (or more)
-- Images and (virtual) appliances
-- Package repos from (Linux) distributors
-- good old Zip
-- Git
-- ?? [please extend]

- Upgrade
-- technique?
-- strategy? automatic? manual?

- Backup
-- technique? automation?
-- strategy, on-site, off-site

- Plug-ins

by James Steerpike -
My resources - rather limited as I am locked down frar from home

- Infrastructure
-- Own PC, laptop One Second-hand Thinkpad first reviewed  in 2011. Plus one  Android phone
-- Own PC, barebone (NUC, Zatox, ..)-- Own micro, Raspberry Pi, Odroid, ..- Own PC, desktop virtualization VirtualBox, KVM, ..
-- Own PC containers, Docker, Ansible, ..-- Own PC hybrids
, ..-- shared server, Cpanel, Spectaculus,.. with or without root access
-- WSL
VPS Yes See "Droplet" CLI only
-- "cloud" AWS, Azure, ...
-- "rain" droplets One at US$5 a month
- System software
-- Win 10
SSH to the VPS
- Installation method
-- Shell scripts: Bash,  Moosh,...-- Ansible-- Docker-- One-click (or more)-- Images and (virtual) appliances-- Package repos from (Linux) distributors Preinstalled LAMP stack on VPS
-- good old Zip
-- Git
-- Tutorials, Moodle docs, Google
- Upgrade
  manual

Backup
--
technique? automation?Automated course backups to folder. Cron script daily database backups
-- strategy, on-site, off-site Both. Free 10GB Yandex disk mirrored to backup folder

Most of the shopping list isn't necessary. Nor is it expensive. An old lappie and $5 a month and I am teaching more than 50 students in  some classes. Most of what I do is cut and paste. It ain't that difficult.

by Robin Lynam -
Cheers James. Good to see I don't need to much to get started. If it comes to me having to get up and running quickly I will have a more detailed look at what you have done. Thanks for posting.

by Ken Task -

WSL ... the CentOS exec you download from link provided is built/provided by a gentleman in Japan.   Which means that .exe is twice removed from the source.   CentOS is RHEL without RH "eye candy" and RH "entitlements" (the update repos).  CentOS maintains it's own repos for core.   And yes, third party repos needed for PHP/MySQL due to RH being 'conservative'.

Ubuntu on the other hand partners with every body ... when Azure was released and the Windows faithful jumped on board it was soon discovered that the most oft installed guest OS was Ubuntu ... Ubuntu, still with the goal of replacing Windows has kinda done what MS has done with Moodlerooms and Moodle ... only it's Windows on the other end of 'fox in the hen house'.

So for your experiment ... to be fair ... one would need to do a WSL install of both CentOS - even though twice removed ... and Ubuntu.

I did read up a little ... blurp said the CentOS8.exe used 'rpm and yum' ... yep, that's been 'standard package management for CentOS for years [yum, BTW is python and really "yellow dog manager" ... used as package manger on Mac based platforms.  Confused yet? ;)].   But, CentOS 8 was supposed to come with 'dandified yum' ... dnf ... + some other improvements.

Does the WSL come with pre-installed git?

Has the WSL already decided for you MariaDB?

Wanna have fun?   Try replacing MariaDB on Ubuntu with MySQL ... and please don't say MariaDB is 'better' cause am gonna ask for you to prove that! smile

Anyhooooo ... 2 cents!

'SoS', Ken

by Robin Lynam -
Wow Visvanath,

That list is daunting to say the least. Again, I see a lot of stuff I don't know. I will probably have to come back to this post in the coming months.

As for the hardware though, we should be fairly good I think. My business partner says he has an old server. He also has about 6 old PCs. He builds computers for his friends and family. He just doesn't know CLI and/or Server OS's (neither do I as a matter of fact) - which is why I'm getting into it. Case in point. He says that he has two RAID boxes but doesn't know how to put them together. Now with Linux, apparently everything is a file including hardware so in theory I reckon I can add another RAID box by creating a file for it. I'm guessing its more complicated than that. But I am just starting out.

I'll probably have to come back to this forum when I have more of an idea about what I am talking about. Cheers.

In case there is a general misunderstanding, most of those terms I've heard somewhere, never touched even - let alone the buzz words.

Pl. accept my belated smiley. smile

In reply to Ken Task

by James Steerpike -
WSL is easy and cheap. I can try a Droplet this weekend.
Initial thoughts - other than typing yum instead of apt, not too bad. Apache 2.4 is up and showing a test page.
But I can see problems ahead. The Centos release is 7.7, the MariaDB is 5.4 and the PHP I was going to install is 5.4.16. So the repositories have older code and will need tweaking. I don't think it is WSL.
Quite a bit more challenging than a Ubuntu install.
Already  have a Ubunti WSL Moodle - it was a  matter of installing from the Microsoft store, cutting and pasting from the Ubuntu step by step.
In reply to Ken Task

by Robin Lynam -
Thanks Ken,

First off Ken, if you ever do decide to write a book. I would read it. I even looked on Amazon, but apparently you haven't written anything yet.

Lot to take in. As for home networking, I know the basics, is that enough to get by. You say I should learn that first. Should I do a small course on that as well, in order to get secured?

I realise there is no quick way to learn this, and I am doing my CLI course. But looking up at the stack that you gave me - the numbered things you gave as an example to download. It seems that if I could practice in downloading a stack like that, I could administer it with webadmin - which looks easier to learn than CLI. Is there a course on webadmin where I can learn about it.

Also, according to a Huge forum topic previously on cpanel - softaculous. Is cpanel - webadmin similar. Will it be harder to upgrade with webadmin, or is that only if I use it as a bridge to upgrade, like they do with softaculous? Not sure if I understood the forum correctly.

And finally good to know what SoS stands for for you.
In reply to Robin Lynam

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Robin, I don't know if you ran into this other video of mine.  Ken encouraged me to make this video showing how to install Moodle by only using cPanel.  This assumes that your server already meets all of Moodle's requirements.

I don't know about webadmin.  But Ken can fill you in.  This video might help you with your overall education.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Robin Lynam -
First off Rick, thank you for making the video. I have saved it and will probably be referring to it once I know more.

Speaking of which after reading all of the comments and replies, it really hits home how much I don't know. But as you guys say its a journey, just a confusing journey.

Just a quick question though, I noticed that you seperated the file data folder from the html folder on your cPanel. My question is can't you just do that as a Moodle Administrator, without going into the back end server stuff? Of course you don't have to answer this, I'll probably learn more as I go through it more. I am just beginning after all. Cheers
In reply to Robin Lynam

by Ken Task -

Begin at the beginning ... now that you've made some decisions ...

Below is 'better' (always debatable) than downloading iso's and using them to build Guest OS's in VirtualBox.  Files you download from below are vdi's ... ready to plugin to VB.

Site does off a GUI Desktop for CentOS 8 ... considering resisting ... when you decide (eventually) where to host, there won't be a GUI desktop but something like a cPanel.  Panel discussion comes later when you are ready for that! ;)

Configurations are not 'powerhouses' but  memory/disk wise think you'll be able to install a moodle on them.  Just don't expect a 'sports car'! Hopefully, reliable For an Aussie Outback adventure! smile

VirtualBox Operating System Images
https://www.linuxvmimages.com/

CentOS 8 images
https://www.linuxvmimages.com/images/centos-8/

CentOS 8.0.1905 - Minimal Installation - 1G download
CentOS 8.0.1905 - Graphical Desktop Installation - 2.5GB download

Important Information
NOTES
SYSTEM DETAILS
vCPU: 1
RAM: 2GB
DISK: 100GB
  /boot : 500MB
  swap : 4GB
  /       : 85GB
  /home: 10GB
Network: Bridged

LOGIN DETAILS
Username: centos
Password : centos
(to become root, use sudo su -)

Ubuntu 18.04 Long Term Support
https://www.linuxvmimages.com/images/ubuntu-1804/

Ubuntu 18.04.03 3.6G download
Important Information
SYSTEM DETAILS
vCPU: 1
RAM: 2GB
DISK: 100GB
  /boot : 500MB
  swap : 4GB
  /       : 85GB
  /home: 10GB
Network: Bridged

LOGIN DETAILS
Username: ubuntu
Password : ubuntu
(to become root, use sudo su -)

https://www.linuxvmimages.com/how-to-use/how-to-import-vm-images-in-virtualbox/
Document Published On: 31 Dec, 2019

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Robin Lynam -
Hello Ken. Beg your pardon but this post has mostly confused me. I’m not sure what you are giving me. Are you giving me a Linux Centos 8 to practice on. Because wouldn’t a more complete version be better to practice on. Or can I use the linux image for students. Because you said in a previous post that I should not use a Virtual Box to share with others. I have just read up on VDI’s and they look like something I should definitely get into (in the future). Should I use the virtual image on a dedicated piece of hardware (my laptop) for a very small site with moodle and start that way. And then as I learn more, I can then scale it up?
In reply to Robin Lynam

by Ken Task -

Let's go back to exactly what you want ... no questions, no but's, no if's etc.  A simple sentence or two with no expansions for us 'very linear folk'! smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Robin Lynam -
Alright. Good question Ken. You want a simple question so you can answer it simply. I intend to do so, but only after I go through my thought process, at the end I will write a short question, thank you.

Well this may sound kind of funny. But really I just wanted to know just what the heck I am doing. I wanted to know my endgame and I wanted to know whether I was on the right path. I’m at the very, very start of the journey. And I just wanted to understand what I was getting myself into and what running a server is/was all about. And now, I think I understand. I understand that I don’t know squat, but this is a journey and I think I am on the right path, which I am going to work on a little bit each day.

Now onto the question. Knowing, what I know – which let’s face it – isn’t very much. I was hoping that there was a way of getting my moodle site up and running, connected to my website while I was still learning about everything. And then I can configure it more later. We (my business partner and I) won’t have big classes anyway. And I was hoping I could do this cheaply, which is why I haven’t gone with a moodle partner yet (also I like to know what is happening with my business, and I want it to be scalable).

So the question is: Is it feasible to start up a small moodle site, while not being very well equipped with how to run it… but I’ll get there later. Or should I just put in the hard yards first, and if need be use a moodle partner? Cheers.
In reply to Robin Lynam

" I’m at the very, very start of the journey." Then take one step at a time.

Put the shopping list in to the dust bin. It was a joke, anyway.

And just don't worry. Unlike the "real" (analog) journeys, the Moodle journey is not perilous. smile

by Robin Lynam -
Cheers Visvanath,

I also progress with my moodle course every day after learning about Linux. In part because of your help in the Learn Moodle Basics course. So thanks for that. And I will just take it one step at a time. I'll return to the forum, when I have a better grasp on what I am doing. Thanks
In reply to Robin Lynam

by Ken Task -

Well, it is said 'begin with the end in mind'.

From what you just posted ... a few more details have been shared ...

You have a 'business partner' ... who is your technical person but lacks knowledge about linux ... uses old servers ... rebuilt ... etc.  (BTW, been there ... done that!).  This server won't be a virtual but one where you or your partner could walk to and physically touch.

Very key ... '...want it to be scalable.'

So those sound like you want host servers (physical servers) yourself.  Remember I mentioned, networking comes before application? 

Now if I understood correctly, that means there should be a climate controlled room (AC), with electrical protections and backup power supply with X hours capacity.  And this room will have a router (+ switch) that connects through a circuit (let's say you start 'small') a T1 line to a provider.  You'll need at least 1 public IP address.    Uhhhh ... I'll stop there.

Am I understanding now?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Robin Lynam -
Basically yes. Although I'm not sure if I can rely on the Internet, also I don't have a backup battery. I was hoping to have a backup system elsewhere. That is have the main setup in the airconditioned room at work, and a backup system at home. Don't know how to set that up, but I will look into it.

And thanks for the course link, but I already have one.
In reply to Robin Lynam

by Ken Task -

"... not sure if I can rely on the Internet," ... well, I won't ask for an explanation ...  but will question (food for thought NOT response please) ... and you want to run a moodle server?

Like I said ... 'been there done that' ... your tech might a guru with hardware etc.   I never was .. old machines simply have components that wear out ... some of those cannot be fixed - thus backups of whatever you have might be your only saving grace.

Out of curiosity, what Linux course are you taking?  Others might find this thread in the MoodleSea and check it out.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Robin Lynam -
Good Point on the Internet connection,

I am hoping that a business internet connection will be better than the home one we have, which sometimes has trouble and cuts out. Would not want that for a business. Anyway, something to keep in mind for myself.

As for the course/s. I looked around and found these courses on Udemy:

Complete Linux Training Course to Get Your Dream IT Job 2020
Complete Linux Troubleshooting Course (With Practical Examples)
Complete Linux Security and Hardening with Practical Examples
Complete Linux Bash Shell Scripting with Real Life Examples

All the courses are run by a guy named Imran Afzal. Over 50 hours of teaching, and its going to take me A LOT longer than that to get through it all.

Its mostly for people who want to get a job in Red Hat, and prepares them to pass any test Red Hat may have by teaching them everything on CentOS 7 and 8.

I also did a "3 Day Linux Administration Course," by just going through it and not doing any exercises - just wanted to get a more broad view of what Linux is about.

Lot of information, and Imran breaks it down quite well, starting at the very bottom and practicing single line code then work from there. Hope it helps someone.

Robin
In reply to Robin Lynam

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"I am hoping that a business internet connection will be better than the home one we have, which sometimes has trouble and cuts out. Would not want that for a business. Anyway, something to keep in mind for myself." -  I have a business account, latest speed test just a few minutes ago of 109.29 Mbps down and 10.34 Mbps up, but due to "everyone" working from home, even it experiences "cut outs" occasionally and is manifested by occasional slow page loads and noticeable speed variations during speed test.

Another way you can hear/experience internet cut outs yourself is to listen to a radio talk show. I listen every afternoon in my workshop while building a ukulele with my son. On the station we listen to, all the hosts are now working from home via the internet. Currently it is not uncommon to get "dead air" drop outs in the conversation, that resume in the middle of a word.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Robin Lynam -
Hello Al,

Thanks for replying. In my infinite wisdom of absolute newbness, I just figured that I would have to reboot the system or something if the internet cuts out. Knowing now that it just slows down - it's actually not too bad, and puts my mind more at ease. Cheers,

Robin
In reply to Robin Lynam

by James Steerpike -

Very feasible to run your virtual server. If you are still interested in the Digital Ocean Droplet, read through thee links to see if they are manageable at your level of expertise.

To create your Moodle install, you will need:

Thus is Ubuntu - perhaps not your preference but Ubuntu usually has better documentation.

by Robin Lynam -
You know James,

The more I think about it, I think this really is a great idea. Because it is well documented getting Moodle onto Digital Ocean, it should therefore be "easier." And I think I will do that. Then add my Moodle course there where I can then also play around with themes and plugins - something I can't do in moodlecloud. And I'm guessing because I won't make it available to students, it should be fairly secure. Then when I need to transfer it, it should be a lot easier, and the course will be a lot more dynamic. And I won't be restricted in the amount of data I can put on there. Who knows I may even stay on Digital Ocean - maybe not Ubuntu though.

So thanks for the list of links, much appreciated.

Robin

Setting up on a vps

by J B -

Thank you James for this posting.  I have been struggling with a vps for days trying to figure out how to install moodle on a vps from scratch.  I will take the other advice in these threads on board about practising  teaching on  the moodle platform with moodle cloud, but your links to  how to create an a-z setup for a user on a virtual private server is extremely helpful.

May I respectfully ask that you and your colleagues (fellow volunteers) create a more prominent link to this advice of yours?