Moodle 3.8 - Error 403 when attempting to inset an image

Moodle 3.8 - Error 403 when attempting to inset an image

by Gabriel Gurley -
Number of replies: 5

Hi everyone,

I am working in a new install of Moodle 3.8, and am having issues when attempting to insert an image into a forum posting.  I am having an issue in both course forums, as well as the Site Announcements.  

I can get all the way through the process of creating a post and selecting the image I wish to insert.  However, when I attempt to Post to Forum, I get a Error 403 - Forbidden - Access to this resource on the server is denied.  This only occurs when I am trying to insert an image into the forum posting.  If I create a forum posting that contains just text, or links to a video, I do not have any issues.

Does anyone have any clues as to how to resolve this issue?  

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gabriel Gurley

Re: Moodle 3.8 - Error 403 when attempting to inset an image

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Sounds like either an aggressive modsec rule or a directory/permissions issue. Who are you hosting with? Can you upload images in other areas, eg. Label, Page or HTML block?
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Gabriel Gurley -
Hi Jon! Thanks for your reply. Yes I am able to upload names to Labels, Pages, etc. without any issues. This issue only appears to be happening in Forums. The site is currently hosted with GreenGeeks.

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Ok, that suggests it’s probably not related to file permissions. I think it’s most likely to be their mod_security rules - to find that out (or rule it out), raise a support ticket with your host. If it is mod_security blocking the upload, they should be able to whitelist the offending rule/s. They will probably want to know your IP address, the time the 403 error occurred and the URL that caused the error.

by Nima Zarin Parsa -
Hi Gabriel,

I recently migrate my moodle website to GreenGeeks also & I face this problem too.

did you solve the problem? can you help me in this regard?
In reply to Nima Zarin Parsa

by Nima Zarin Parsa -
SOLVED!

GreenGeeks has Mod security whitelist. Talked to Support & now its OK!