making resources invisible so you can use the main page for a website layout and not have it messy

making resources invisible so you can use the main page for a website layout and not have it messy

by Paul Atreides -
Number of replies: 0
long story short: I am using kubrick v2 theme on a moodle instance to create a homepage that will look and act like a regular web page, but have the brilliant interfacing/GUI of moodle. Problem was, since I didnt want to create a course and muddle up navigation as well as logins, when I created resources on the main page to link to with the tabs I ended up with a messy clutter of resource names on the main page.

The solution is to add the line:

.course-1 .resource{ display:none;}

to standard/style_layout.css around line 1473 under the "resources" designation towards the botton of the style sheet.

This way you can add all the resources you want, you can link to them with standard html links, and when you need to update them, just comment out the line, reload the css...modify your stuff, and make it all invisible again.

That way you can use moodle with the kubrick v2 theme and eliminate any funky logins or navigation complications.

(thanks to my friend Ed Burnett who pointed me in the right direction for this).

ALSO you can use this same tactic to have activities that are linkable, or can be linked to with standard html links. It is the answer to the invisible but inactive problem...so until there is a more integrated solution simply comment out resources in a specific place like this in the css and deal with the hassle.

Hope this helps someone...
Average of ratings: -