Course-List View Enhancement

Course-List View Enhancement

by Phil S -
Number of replies: 3

Hey guys,

i'm pretty new to moodle and this will be my first forum post. first of all i hope that i made it to the correct forum category for my question.

the feature i should implement within moodle is an enhancement of the Course-List view (/course/index.php?categoryid={id}) 

out of the box the Course-Name will be displayed with options for Short-Name/expanded and so on... but that options are not enough for our requirements. in that list we should display, for example, start- and end-date per row or the name of the lecturer.

what would be the best practice to extend moodle for that requirements? i checked the core course/index.php and was able to "extend" the name string by start- and end-date but why i ended up here is - what if - we need, for example, datatables for that list - that would be a time consuming task  based on what i saw in the codebase.  

so should i rewrite parts of the core for our custom needs?  or is there a mature plugin? or do we have to, for example, somehow create a fully custom view that lives side by side with the other list - is that even a thing with moodle?

any help is much appreciated

have a nice one

EDIT:

is there a reason why that list is so minimal out of the box? even on the detail view there is just no information. example: our school client has written the lecturer names into the course title because otherwise, they would not know.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil S

Re: Course-List View Enhancement

by Patrick Lemaire -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Phil,
Could you tell us what version of Moodle do you use? The answers may change depending of the version.

Patrick
In reply to Patrick Lemaire

by Phil S -
Hey Patrick,

we use the version 3.8.2
In reply to Phil S

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Phil,
Possibly no need to rewrite core for your needs. There is a Generico filter template/bundle named, Course Information for Tutors and administrators, that provides much of what you are asking for, and you could easily modify it, or even use other template/bundles for other items. Add it to the course description to show the course info. Right out of the box, it needs to be modified as there are links in the template that will have to be changed to point to your Moodle site. It is discusse in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=324771#p1584860. Note: I do not use this, but it looks interesting.

The really nice thing about adding the Generico filter plugin to your site, is there are already so many other template/bundles available that come with the plugin, that really let you do some amazing things on your site. Typically, any place in Moodle that you can open an editor, can have a Generico filter added. The forum link listed, has links to many more template/bundles.