Quiz and disconnection

Quiz and disconnection

by Andrea Giordano -
Number of replies: 8

Hi. I'm setting up a final quiz for student in this time of Corona Virus' lockdown and online teaching. 

I want to set a time limit and I'm wondering what is the behaviour expected from the site. What happens if the student get disconnected for any reason. Will the timer be reset or stopped and resumed, Will it go on? And when student will manage to log in again what will  happen to answers. Will they be still there for him?. Will he have to start anew again?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrea Giordano

Re: Quiz and disconnection

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Andrea,

Will the timer be reset or stopped and resumed, Will it go on?

The timer is on the server. Therefore, it continues to run no matter what happens on the student side.

You can change the time limits for a particular user (or for a group of users) by clicking on the name of the quiz / gear icon / User overrides / Add user override / select a student and set the new time limits (similarly for Group overrides).

And when student will manage to log in again what will  happen to answers. Will they be still there for him? Will he have to start anew again?

The student can continue his/her attempt even if he/she had problems with the Internet, there was a power failure, or left Moodle and temporarily shut down his/her computer for any reason.

When the student resumes his/her attempt, he/she will find all the answers that have been saved and he/she can simply continue as if nothing had happened. answers that have been saved means the answers for which the "Check" button was last clicked. If an answer is entered but the "Check" button is not clicked, that answer will be lost.

Note that there are two cases where there is no "Check" button: the "Essay" question, and all question types (True or False, Multiple choice, Calculated, etc.) if "How questions behave" is set to "Deferred feedback". In these cases, students can save their work by clicking on "Finish attempt" and then immediately clicking on the "Return to attempt" button.

In all case, make sure students understand that if they click "Finish attempt" and then "Submit all and finish" twice (the second time for confirmation), they will not be able to resume their attempt.

There may be students for whom you want to give a second attempt for special reasons. In this case, click on the name of the quiz / gear icon / User overrides / Add user override / select a student and set "Attempt allowed" to 2. You must also set "Grading method" under "Grade" and "Each attempt builds on the last" under "Question behaviour", in the quiz settings, according to what you want for these second attempts.

You can do tests on the Moodle sandbox and Activity examples where you can log in as a teacher and as a student.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As well as what Dominique says about when the student's responses are saved, it is also the case that the quiz automatically saves the students answers ever minute (exact time interval can be adjusted in the quiz admin settings, but 1 minute is the standard).
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Andrea Giordano -

Thanks a lot for the precise answer! Thanks Tim as well. 

It's clear enough now! Let's see what will happen now! Finger crossed!

In reply to Andrea Giordano

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
A student once reported to me that he was in the middle of my 2-hour exam, and he lost his Internet in his home. So, he decided to drive to his parent's home to continue taking his exam. Everything worked fine. He logged in from his parent's home and got right back into his exam.

I checked my Moodle's logs and sure enough, his IP address had changed during the exam, so his story seemed to check out.

I have always been impressed with how robust Moodle is, especially for quizzes. When I first came to Moodle, after using my school's Blackboard product, I was skeptical because Blackboard would always crash for some students while they were taking a quiz. In fact, the solution to Blackboard's problems was to allow "repeats" since at least one of the repeats would work. Now, for homework, even in Moodle, I like randomized repeats. Getting back to Moodle, it took me several years to accept that Moodle would not crash during an exam (quiz). Now, I sometimes forget that an exam is going on this week.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It is worth saying, that if you are going to do a high-stakes exam is Moodle, it is a really good idea to create at test quiz, and a dummy student aount for yourself, and try these things out: start an attempt, and then pull out the network cable, Start an attempt on one computer (or in one browser) then try continuing on another, ...

Actually going through this yourself will take some time, but it is worthwhile to see what acutally happens, and what you can an cannot rely on.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)