Numerical Quiz Question: answer is a range

Numerical Quiz Question: answer is a range

by Ms. Myers -
Number of replies: 2

Hafa Adai Moodlers,

I am wanting to create a numerical question where the answer is a range. I know that you can make your answer allow for error, but I am wanting an actual range.

Example:

If a person wants to train to improve aerobic fitness what percentage range of their heart rate max do they need to remain in?

Answer: 70-80% 

Other than moving to short answer which will inevitably require manual grading is there a way to do this as a numerical question? 

PS I do not want to put the answer is 75 with an error of 5. While exercising it is not logical for a person to remain at a specific heart rate, the range or zone is important in this case.

Thanks for all your help! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ms. Myers

Re: Numerical Quiz Question: answer is a range

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Ms. Myers,

Use the Embedded Answers (Cloze) question type, which is a core built-in question type.

Create the question text as follows:

Example:

If a person wants to train to improve aerobic fitness what percentage range of their heart rate max do they need to remain in?

Answer: {1:NUMERICAL:=70:5}-{1:NUMERICAL:=80:5} %

where you can replace the 5's with the desired error values.

You will get this:

Note to the developpers:
I don't understand the message "This submission attracted a penalty of 2.00.". Shouldn't it be "This submission attracted a penalty of 1.00." Is this a small bug?

Note to Mr. Myers:
Don't worry about the note above. Everything else is good with this question type.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: Numerical Quiz Question: answer is a range

by Ms. Myers -
Hi!

This is a perfect work around! I can't believe I didn't think of it.

Thank you!

I didn't get this error when I tried it on my end.