Some Recordings from BBB don't show up on moodle

Some Recordings from BBB don't show up on moodle

by Samir Diab -
Number of replies: 14

Hi,

I'm facing a problem where some  recordings are not displayed on Moodle.

We are using scalelite balancer as we have BBB multiple servers and I verified that the recording exists on the BBB server and scalelite server

I can view the recording directly from the BBB server using the URL

https://myurl.com/playback/presentation/2.0/playback.html?meetingId=XXXXXXXX

I tried republishing and rebuilding the recording from BBB server hoping it will show up on moodle , but it didn't.

Any help would be appreciated.

BigBlueButton Server 2.2.4
Moodle 3.8.2
BBB Plugin 2.3.3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samir Diab

Re: Some Recordings from BBB don't show up on moodle

by Adam Griffiths -

Did you get to bottom of this, we're just starting to see something similar.

In reply to Adam Griffiths

by Adam Griffiths -
Hello - we got to the bottom of our problem - NFS on one of the BBB servers getting dropping out so the recording never got copied across. Once identified we just re-ran the import script to get them all across. Putting it here just in case it helps anyone else!
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Adam Griffiths

by Jesus Federico -
Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for sharing Adam. While reading the question I was wondering how could this be troubleshot, but what you did makes a lot of sense.
In reply to Jesus Federico

by Filipe Oliveira -
Hi,

We are also having the same issue with BBB recordings not showing on Moodle. The recording where working fine until a few days ago. I do not know if its related with the fact that we updated the BBB Moodle plugin to the latest version (v2.3.4) a few days ago.

@Adam Griffiths said that he solved the problem by re-running the import script. Can anyone please share what is the SSH command that I should use to do that? Or if there is any KB article that explains that?

Also anyone has an idea of what the problem is? I run on the BBB server the command bbb-conf –check and it shows no problems.

Thanks!

Moodle version: 3.9
BBB moodle plugin version: 2.3.4
BBB server version: 2.2.21
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Filipe Oliveira

by Adam Griffiths -
hello - our fix was down to a problem with our scalelite setup rather than BBB. BBB was correctly publishing the recordings. The import script is specific to scalelite and just copies the completed published recordings from individual BBB servers to the central scalelite server. The script is here if you have scalelite - /usr/local/bigbluebutton/core/scripts

I've updated our BBBBN plugin to 2.3.4 and moodle to 3.9 today and all is working correctly for us so don't think the plugin is the culprit.

Are you using scalelite or is it a single BBB instance? Are any recordings being published? They can start to take days if you stick with webm format and have a lot of sessions on the go. In our busiest period (we had 4 BBB servers and rang between 400-600 users across them with 5-10 meeting, only one webcam showing on each meeting thankfully) I had to change to mp4 (which also made my IOS users happy) to get recordings showing up in anything like a sensible timeframe.

Have you used the bbb-record command? Used with --watch it will at least show you the various workers are running - https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/dev/recording.html

I also used to fish around the /var/bigbluebutton/published/presentation/ folder, ls -ltr will show latest recordings at bottom which can help diagnose problems.

If you haven't signed up to the BBB google groups I would recommend it. I have fixed most problems with a combination of these moodle forums with the google groups.

by Ricardo Caiado -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
After upgrading to BBB "2.2.21" all recordings within a course are gone!

But I can see them on the BBB server.

Moodle version: 3.8.4
BBB moodle plugin version: 2.3.4
BBB server version: 2.2.21
In reply to Ricardo Caiado

by Jesus Federico -
Hi Ricardo,

Yeah, that is a BBB issue. A big one. I was not aware of that. And I just reported to the guys who work on the recordings.

The recordings are still there. It seems to be the API that is not picking them up. This means that, because it has nothing to do with Moodle or the Plugin, they will show up again after BBB is updated (or patched). Hopefully there will be an update soon.

I would recommend you to keep an eye on the bigbluebutton-dev mailing list.

Cheers,

JF

by Jesus Federico -
Alright, I broke my own BBB server :D. And I don't know where exactly the problem is, but I passed the report along.

There are two things you can try.

1. Restart your BBB server.

It seems that the update includes changing one of the libraries required by the API for accessing the recordings. Since the API is still running, it has the reference to the old version. On restart, the API starts using the new one.

2. If that doesn't work, what worked for me (I was doing something else) was to run bbb-install.sh again (in the same way I did a few weeks ago) right after performing the apt-get update.

Can you please report back which one of the procedures (if any) worked for you?

Thanks,

JF
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ricardo Caiado -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Jesus,

#1 worked for me!

Ricardo

by Jesus Federico -
Thanks, I saw you response in one of the other posts.

Sorry I came to you this late. I was on vacations :D

by Filipe Oliveira -
Hi @jesusfederico @Jesus Federico or anyone else

I'm again having issues with Recordings not being published on Moodle. I have been using Moodle with BigBluebutton for some weeks and all was working perfect until a few days ago. The issue is that the recordings from BigBlueButton stopped being published into Moodle.

Things I have tried to solve the issue and none of them solve:
- Updated from Bigbluebutton v2.2.22 to v2.2.25
- Reboot server after update
- Check the server load (CPU, RAM, Disk) and all is fine.

Versions I’m using:
Moodle Version: 3.9
BigBlueButton Version: 2.2.25
BigBlueButtonBN Plugin Version: 2.3.4 (build 2019042009)

Bellow I leave 4 screenshots of BigBlueButton server status. I really appreciate if someone can help me solve the issue. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

bbb-conf --check               > https://ibb.co/1Kf9N6w
bbb-record --list  (part1)  > https://ibb.co/hD6whX8
bbb-record --list  (part2)  > https://ibb.co/x31gDkV
bbb-record --watch           > https://ibb.co/7QvbPdF

by Jesus Federico -
Hi Felipe,

First of all, it is the BigBlueButton server and not the plugin.

Second, I just had the same issue in one of my BBB servers for development a few days ago. Restarting did not work, so what I did was to run bbb-install.sh again.

The thing is that bbb-install.sh comes with a bunch of other checks to verify your configuration files. In your case I would try that first.

If that post your question to the bigbluebutton-setup google group. There are hundreds of System administrators there. They may have run into that issue too.

The thing is that me, personally, I am not working directly in BigBlueButton development at the moment. Mostly integrations and infrastructure, so I am not up to date with the updates that are done every week.

Cheers,

JF

by Filipe Oliveira -
Hi @Ricardo Caiado

Glad to see it work for you. Can you please tell me what option did you use to make it work:

1. Restart your BBB server
2. Run bbb-install.sh again

Thanks