"try another question like this one"

"try another question like this one"

de Richard Polk -
Number of replies: 16

Is there a way to change the "try another question like this one" button to say "retry" instead. 

Promeyo de puntuacions: -
In reply to Richard Polk

Re: "try another question like this one"

de Tim Hunt -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Documentation writers Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Peer reviewers Imachen de Plugin developers
The same method can be used to customise any of the user-interface text in Moodle, including this: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Language_customisation
In reply to Tim Hunt

de Richard Polk -
Thank you Tim. Do you know if this is possible at the course level or without Administrator access? I appreciate your help.
In reply to Richard Polk

de Jon Bolton -
Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Testers
No, changing the language pack is an administrator function and can’t be dine at course level. Changes to the language pack are also global and would affect the whole site, not just one course.

There is potentially a workaround though - but it requires admin access initially. You can choose the language for a particular course so you could create a unique language pack for your installation and teachers could then deploy that into their courses. Not for the faint-hearted though, and a LOT of hassle for a small change.
In reply to Tim Hunt

de Joseph Rézeau -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Plugin developers Imachen de Testers Imachen de Translators
Hi Tim,
That is actually a bug, the wording is wrong. This has been discussed on the French forum here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=375784

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

de Matthias Giger -
Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers
Actually, when you use a quiz with random questions or questions with random values the wording is accurate. It is only when you repeat the very same question with the same values that "retry" would be correct.

Anyway, for my students it doesn't really matter. I just explain to them what the button does and they don't care very much about the words on it.
In reply to Matthias Giger

de Dominique Bauer -
Imachen de Documentation writers Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Plugin developers

Hello,

For many question types, the wording "Try another question like this one" is a bit confusing. The wording in the quiz settings is clearer: "Allow redo within an attempt" (a bit long in French: "Autoriser à répondre à nouveau aux questions au cours d'une tentative").

To keep the wording suitable for all types of questions, I would keep it short: Redo or Do again (in French: Refaire ou Faire à nouveau). The advice of a man or woman of letters would be useful.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

de Tim Hunt -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Documentation writers Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Peer reviewers Imachen de Plugin developers
I must admit, I don't understand why anyone would use this setting unless the quiz has randomisation. Can anyone explain?

When this feature was first implemented, the button label was just 'Redo'. This confused some of our users, so we changed it. Since the change, I have not heard of any complaints from OU students.

(Actually, on checking my memory, I can see it used to be Redo question. Here is where the change was made: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/c9636ddd5168e692917c206e93f5b46ba018a559#diff-cc932da7e0a03f40a2f33a73d8b03abb.)

To the people proposing we change this base: is your proposal because your student are actually confused, or is it because your intellectual analysis thinks the situation is wrong?
In reply to Tim Hunt

de Dominique Bauer -
Imachen de Documentation writers Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Plugin developers

I have a whole series of quizzes for students to practice. To encourage students to do the quizzes, these count for a small but non-negligible amount of points. And to encourage students even more, I allow them to repeat the questions and quizzes until they have the right answers and full marks. So I have different types of questions, not just questions with randomisation, where I set "Allow redo within an attempt" on yes, together with quizzes' "Attempts allowed" set on unlimited. A bit like embed questions but with points. It may not be a classic approach, but hey, isn't pedagogy evolving these days?

In reply to Dominique Bauer

de Helen Foster -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Documentation writers Imachen de Moodle HQ Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Plugin developers Imachen de Testers Imachen de Translators

Thanks Tim for pointing me to this discussion from MDL-40992 where I suggested in a comment an improvement to the help string wording to mention 'This allows for a similar question (selected randomly) to be attempted, or the same question again...'

Dominique, thanks for your suggestions of alternative wordings to 'Try another question like this one' - 'Redo' or 'Do again'. I like both suggestions because they are nice and short, however I think they both imply that the same question will be shown again and don't allow for the possibility of a different question being shown. Hmm, is the phrase 'Try again' any better?

In reply to Helen Foster

de Przemek Kaszubski -
Isn't it so that for recycling the very same question we can go with the "Adaptive" mode (with or without penalty)? This works simpler then reloading ...

The "redo within an attempt" has the potential of serving another *version* of the question just answered - whether via random selection or - I imagine - when a calculated question with variables is applied.

For me, what we currently have is accurate (albeit slightly lengthy) - at least from the perspective of the test designer - which **is** an important perspective, too.

"Try again" seems better than "Redo" or "Do again", though it still might imply that there may be something wrong with the current answer.

Perhaps a clipping like "Try another" would be acceptable - for the (English) button - if a change is desirable?
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

de Joseph Rézeau -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Plugin developers Imachen de Testers Imachen de Translators
I agree with Dominique above. In a learning (not testing) situation, it's important to provide the students with as many opportunities to try and re-try questions & quizzes until they get their answers right.
@Prsemek, I also agree that the Adaptive mode should answer that need. Unfortunately, I find neither of the 2 behaviours satisfactory, as explained on the screenshots below.
In case #1 the wording is obviously inadequate;
in case #2 an important feedback message is missing.

de Przemek Kaszubski -
Hello Joseph - for me personally case #2 is close enough. Just instruct the students to use the Check button as much as they please.

I would not use case#1 at all with questions that don't have variables or random pooling.
In reply to Helen Foster

de Tim Hunt -
Try again is already used in 'Interactive with multiple tries' behaviour, and that will not change.

In fact 'a try' is the term used consistently in Adaptive behaviour (with and without penalties) and Interactive, and I think it is too confusing to re-use the same term for this.

To be honest, unless someone manages to come up with a brilliant suggestion, I have limited interest in what a bunch of geeks posting in a forum think about this. Anyone who can produce actual evidence about what be most understandable to students.

Actually, having said that, I have an opinion: We won't improve what we currently have with only one language string. The only way to make it better is to get the quiz to look at what will happen when the button is clicked. If it is a non-random question with only one variant, then make the button say "Restart question", otherwise keep the current label. Code is here: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/mod/quiz/attemptlib.php#L1736. Not doable without an API change in the renderer, which may break people's themes. Patches welcome.
In reply to Tim Hunt

de Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Tim,

You're right, "'Interactive with multiple tries' behaviour" has the 'Try again' message. However, this behaviour is dependent upon the wording and number of "hints" entered in the question options.

This behaviour is missing a "no hints" + infinite number of retries option.

Joseph, one member of the 'bunch of geeks' posting here.clucada

de Tim Hunt -
So, what you are acutally looking for is a new question behaviour that has an infinite number of tries (like adaptive) and a try again (like interactive). Someone should make that.

(Using "Try another question like this one" to achieve this is hugely inefficient - which is a technical matter - and also the handling of general feedback is not ideal - which is a pedagogic one.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

de Przemek Kaszubski -
The acceptability of "try" as a term aside, my earlier suggestion was "Try another" (= a shortened version of "Try another question like this one"), and not "Try again". Another suggestion "Try another example" ?