Password reset problem

Password reset problem

by Paul Brothers -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all, 

I am stuck with an issue of the password reset link not working. 

When it is clicked using either the username or email it appears tosend the email but when i check it doesnt arrive. I have had students contacting me and its a small pain having to do it. 

Would anybody have any help with this problem. Would it be a setting or a possibe area im missing. 

Thank you for any help 

Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Brothers

Re: Password reset problem

by Gerald Grow -
If you have not already done so, check the settings under Site Administration / Server / Outgoing mail configuration.

Maybe something there is interfering.

In order to get my emails sent more reliably, I had to sign up for a free low-usage subscription to an email service (SendGrid). The email service seems to gives the email more authority than the default php email from my server, so the email gets delivered more reliably.

The Outgoing Mail Configuration is where you would place the settings for such an email service.

I hope this helps.
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Celynn K -

Hi Gerald, 

I am trying to get SendGrid to work for me and still no luck. 

Still getting message "Your site couldn't communicate with your mail server. Please check your outgoing mail configuration.

Would you be able share the outgoing mail configuration setup that you used to get this working?

The setup instructions on Bitnami that Ken had linked are different from what is currently on the SendGrid site. 

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. I've been trying to get outgoing email to work all week. Checked all my settings with hosting provider for my site and all looks good. Saw that you and Ken were using SendGrid successfully so I thought I'd give it a try.

Celynn

In reply to Celynn K

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Not sure about Bitnami linfo/link ... must have been another discussion cause there ain't any Bitnami mentioned here! smile

Whereever you saw it, think OP was using Bitnami ... so sent him a link to Bitnami info.

Do you use Bitnami?

Anyhoo ... 

https://sendgrid.com/docs/API_Reference/SMTP_API/integrating_with_the_smtp_api.html

Am using sendgrnd's API setup.
https://app.sendgrid.com/settings/api_keys

smtphosts    smtp.sendgrid.net:587
smtpsecure    tls
smtpauthtype    LOGIN
smtpuser    apikey (that word ... it's not a user name)
smtppass    [yourkeyhere]
smtpmaxbulk    1

Great thing about using SendGrid and the API route ... can use same config
for multiple moodles.   Might hit their limits ... see first link ... but I can live with that considering price and the fact it works with no DNS additions, etc.     Simple ... that's the way I like things! smile

'SoS'. Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Celynn K -
Thank you Ken,

I was finally able to get the default php email working so no need for SendGrid now

Celynn
In reply to Celynn K

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

By 'the default php email' do you mean phpMailer straight from your moodle server with no smtp setup?

Or is there some 'trick' you're not sharing with us?

'SoS', Ken