Photo Gallery Module

Photo Gallery Module

by Melissa Fernandez -
Number of replies: 23
I've browsed through some of the othe forums in search of information on using photo gallery's within Moodle.  I am aware of the photo gallery glossary format that currently exists but many of the later points seemed to suggest at using Gallery2s ability to be incorporated in other web applications.  Has anyone had the opportunity to take a look at this?  It'd be wonderful to have a gallery resource in place so students and teachers could post work and make it available to the outside community.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melissa Fernandez

Re: Photo Gallery Module

by Art Lader -

Hi, Melissa,

I think that you will find that the upcoming database module will do a good job of this. smile

Anyone else want to chime in?

-- Art

by Michael Penney -
We're (Humboldt State) just about finished with Gallery2 integration, Mark is working on Backup and Restore now.

Should be ready in a week or so.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Art Lader -

just about finished with Gallery2 integration

That will be so cool!

I thought Californians were supposed to be laid back, but you guys are amazingly productive.

Must be the good wine, huh?

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Genner Cerna -
really gallery 2 in moodle thats great news... cant wait till its out.

by Rocco Lewis -
Hi Michael,
Have you finished with Gallery2?  Thanks for working on it.

In reply to Rocco Lewis

by Michael Penney -
I Rocco, it is in beta testing now, we should have code to release in a week or so.

by N Hansen -
That is excellent, Michael.

Yes, we Californians can achieve great things, can't we? big grin

by Just H -
Excellent news Michael, your team are doing great work over there, thank you smile

by Just H -
Hi Michael

Was wondering if you would be kind enough to give us an update on how things are going with the great work you guys at Humboldt are doing in particular Gallery2 integration, time tracking and tasks.

At the moment I sense a growing push from people above me in my organisation towards MS Sharepoint, this comes after an abysmal  attempt at  using the Lotus suite of products (a two year pilot that failed dismally due to lack of commitment and support from our IT department).

I believe I can satisfy our requirements with Moodle and a few modules contributed such as the above and was hoping to have a fully working demo by the end of the month to try and cut them off at the pass smile

At the moment everyone is very impressed with the course we have run through Moodle (which has probably saved around AU$3K as we didn't have to run face to face courses) so why they insist on heading towards another proprietary product beats me! sad

Regards
H
In reply to Just H

by W Page -

Gallery2 in Moodle.

WOW!!

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Just H -
WOW!! indeed smile

Use it at the moment but without that last little technical detail - integration.

So, looking forward to yet another great addition from Humboldt.
Attachment gallery2.jpg
In reply to Just H

by Genner Cerna -
yahoo, this is great...

would it be ready before or after moodle 1.6?

Errors installing gallery

by Steve S. -
Having some trouble installing the gallery module. I uploaded it to the mod folder and then went to the admin page, and got this:

(mysql): CREATE TABLE mdl_gallery ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, course int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', name varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', albumid int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', permissions text NOT NULL, timecreated int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', timemodified int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (id), KEY course (course)) COMMENT='Main information about each gallery'  

Success

gallery tables have been set up correctly

However, on the module list, the module shows up as modulename. When I click on the settings, I get this:

When I try to create a gallery in one of my courses, I get this:

icon.gif Adding a new modulenamemodulename">Adding a new <a href=modulename" />

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
v 1.5.3

In reply to Steve S.

Re: Errors installing gallery

by Jan Dierckx -

strings enclosed in double square brackets are a sure sign of a missing language pack.

Have you uploaded the lang/en/gallery.php file and placed it inside the moodle/lang/en folder of your installation?

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Steve S. -
Thanks -- I did neglect to do that. After doing that, that problem is solved.

However, now I am running into another problem. I went to the settings, set the path to my moodle site, and saved the settings. However, when I try to create a gallery, I get this error message:

The Gallery Module must be configured before it can be used.
Please go to Admin → Modules → Gallery Settings to configure the Gallery Module.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
In reply to Steve S.

by Just H -
Hi Steve

The main thread for the Gallery module is here. Perhaps the info you need is in there.

regards
H
In reply to Steve S.

by Jan Dierckx -

It only works with Gallery 2.0x, it doesn't (yet) work with Gallery 2.1. Can you check the version of Gallery you have installed?

What happens when you visit the gallery settings page to configure the gallery module?

In reply to Steve S.

by X Y -
I got the exact same SQL errors... but after adding the lang files manually there don't seem to be any other problems after configuring the module properly.

I installed gallery2.0.4 with moodle 1.5.3 and I'm about to upgrade to 1.6.1 and am hoping that all hell won't break loose. ;)

I worry that those errors will be trouble in the future, but time will tell I suppose. *shrug*

In reply to X Y

by X Y -
Hmmm. After upgrading to 1.6.1 it has been a little finicky but mostly functional. The hardest part was remembering all the directories and files to copy over.

However, even though I'm positive the permissions on all the gallery related files are correct, clicking on "Galleries" (one down from viewing an individual gallery in Moodle) it claims that index.php is "not found". In other words: you can't go to http://moodledomain/mod/gallery/ or http://moodledomain/mod/gallery/index.php

Any ideas what I might have overlooked?
In reply to X Y

by Stuart Tannehill -
I had problems with the Gallery module as well. Check out < a href="http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=42459">this thread to find out more (but, sadly, no solution). I posted some stuff from my error log that might tell the developer something. We'll see.