problems updating to moodle 3.8

problems updating to moodle 3.8

by Ucan_ Leon -
Number of replies: 5

on my site I have version 3.5 of moodle when trying to update, I perform all the steps of making backups of moodledata and the database.

I upload the new version of my site to my server and add the folder moodledata and config.php and make the connections to BD, enter the domain and nothing loads the process is blank.

what could be the problem?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ucan_ Leon

Re: problems updating to moodle 3.8

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Check your web server's error log!
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ucan_ Leon -

[Fri Apr 10 09:34:07.214934 2020] [core:alert] [pid 8765] [client 186.77.138.97:57155] /home/admin/public_html/data/.htaccess: AllowOverride not allowed here

[Fri Apr 10 09:26:33.968094 2020] [core:alert] [pid 8661] [client 190.7.211.29:59796] /home/admin/public_html/.htaccess: AllowOverride not allowed here

[Fri Apr 10 09:26:33.967897 2020] [core:alert] [pid 8661] [client 190.7.211.29:59796] /home/admin/public_html/.htaccess: AllowOverride not allowed here

[Fri Apr 10 09:17:18.299027 2020] [core:crit] [pid 7159] (13)Permission denied: [client 172.105.23.36:41410] AH00529: /home/admin/public_html/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is 

these are the errors and I modified them and a blank page remains the same and it doesn't generate anything for me

In reply to Ucan_ Leon

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Assuming public_html is where your Moodle lives (what is the setting of $CFG->wwwroot in your config.php file) then it doesn't have a .htaccess file. So where did that come from? Which begs the question, where did you download Moodle from?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ucan_ Leon -

The address of the $ CFG-> wwwroot is: https://aulavirtualucan.com, and download moodle from the official website: https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/

Perform the update in local mode on my pc and it works completely, but when I want to do it on the server it does not generate anything for me when trying to do it, not even an error in the browser console.

In reply to Ucan_ Leon

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

/.htaccess: AllowOverride not allowed here

Please see:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35508635/allowoverride-not-allowed-here

So there is something in an .htaccess file in /data/ and in your document root ... the public_html directory that your web service doesn't like.

So what's in those .htaccess files?  And what are you running for a web service?  apache? nginx? lightspeed?

'SoS', Ken