LateX

LateX

by Gino Palmia -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all,

sorry for the post-crossing but nobody answer me in "General plugins"...

I am a chemistry teacher and I should like to use LateX notation for chemistry in moodle (usually I use \chemfig).

Does someone use this package for drawing molecules?

How (if it is) is possible to enable moodle to this package?

Thank you for the answer...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gino Palmia

Re: LateX

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
A quick search of Moodle doc shows: https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Chemistry_notation_using_mhchem
I don't think anyone has ever reported getting \chemfig to work with LateX in Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Quite right Al, I tried it several times and made a mess of it, just couldn't config it to work. Added mhchem and have not had any reports since from that school about it not working. The new guy is pretty good though...smile     (Didn't we have this discussion at the time?) 

Is there, or has anyone gotten, a working Lewis Diagrams tool? I haven't looked for a long time, there wasn't one available at the time I was playing with mhchem, so as HTML5 is more widespread, is it possible to get one that a student can use to make them? 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yeah, I've never been able to get chemfig to work.
I never took chemistry, so had to go "study" a bit to see what a Lewis Diagram is. For simplicity of use for a student, I think that you could use an Assignment set up as a PoodLL Whiteboard. Just tested and it looks like it could work. If you don't have access to a PoodLL assignment, (PoodLL does cost money.) let me know and I will give you access to my dev site that has it.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Colin Fraser -
Really appreciate the offer Al, but with all this other nonsense going on right now, we've had to rethink much of what we do. Right now the school I am in is just not interested in Moodle, so I've been forced to look at other video tools e.g. Microsoft Teams. I shudder at the thought of it, but I gotta go where I gotta go. As a contractor, I got no pull, my perennial problem, so the places that don't use Moodle, won't, the places that do use Moodle can't use PoodLL, "not supported by the Department, no Risk Assessment, too expensive," take your pick. Teams does have an easily accessible whiteboard, but there are other issues.... There is no simple solution, so I'm getting the kids to use the school SMS (would you believe) to upload photos of their work, some are using the draw function on Word, others Photoshop or Krita or GIMP, and such, but it's not the best.

[No matter what I tell 'em, so many people have a great deal of trouble distinguishing between an LMS and an SMS, unbelievable!]
In reply to Colin Fraser

by AL Rachels -

Would this be good enough? NOTE: These are fake student names I've been using for years.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Colin Fraser -
Wow, that really looks good though... something to keep in the back of my mind, drop a seed into more fertile ground at the right time..mmmmmm
In reply to AL Rachels

Ri: Re: LateX

by Gino Palmia -

I searched on Google but did not find the possibility to write formulas like in the figure with mhchem while with chemfig it is very simple and a few lines of text are enough.

Could you show me some sites where I can find examples where mhchem is used to represent organic molecules?

organic molecules