Separate user configuration in forum

Separate user configuration in forum

by Alan Rodas Bonjour -
Number of replies: 2

Hello Everybody. This is my first time in the forums.

I have the following scenario that I want to accomplish:

I want to create a forum in which the Students are able to see only their posts, and not other student posts. Teachers can see all posts of everybody, and can replay to any of them.

My workaround to solve this is create a group for each student, and configure the forum with a "separate group" configuration. But I may be missing something more obvious here. This solution may work with small number of students, but with 300 in my coursem, this crowds the groups in a way I don't like. Moreover, as students belong to not only one group, I have to teach them to post in the correct group in order for the forum to work as expected.

Any thought on this?

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Rodas Bonjour

Re: Separate user configuration in forum

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Alan,

This is probably the easiest way, and there's currently no way to automate this or do anything more fancy.

When you create groups I always recommend that you create them in a Grouping.

A Grouping is a logical collection of groups.  When you set up your forum, and you put it into Separate Groups mode, you can set a Grouping. The effect of that Grouping is that the activity is only limited to those groups, and ignores any other group in the course.

This means that your students will only see that one group, and will not be prompted to choose a group when posting.

As I say, I always advise creating groups in a grouping. In fact I would advise that all groups are in at least one grouping.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

Re: Separate user configuration in forum

by Alan Rodas Bonjour -
Thanks Andrew.
The Grouping trick works great in my use case.

Anyhow, I believe a "Per user" configuration in the selection of the group mode in an activity would made a nice and handy feature for moodle that would make this and possibly other use cases way more easier to configure.

Is this feature even considered? If not, may I suggest it as an Improvement in the issue tracker or would you believe it just doesn't worth it?