Limit to database entries

Limit to database entries

by James Barrett-Poulsen -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I am new to using Moodle, with a couple of questions around Databases. I have not managed to find an appropriate response in the forum discussions (I might not be looking for the correct terms)

My aim is to set up a database for students to submit specific academic requests to academic management - such as extensions on submission deadlines, or access to a supplementary exam if the student failed the first one. (The purpose is to have all these requests collated in one place).

Privacy of the requests was a concern - but if I understand correctly, I am able to set "require approval for new records" (and then just never approve them) - and this will allow entries to remain private, and for me to comment on the entry, for the student to see my comments and respond (and still only see their requests), whilst I can still see all requests?

Firstly, is there a maximum number of records that can be added to the database - and then once that limit is reached, the database becomes visible to all students? 

And secondly, do I receive notifications when students submit new entries and do the students receive a notification when their entry is commented on? 

Thank you for any guidance to set me in the right direction!  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Barrett-Poulsen

Re: Limit to database entries

by David Campbell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi James,
The database will do most of what you want. It doesn't send notifications when students submit or when comments are added. The Dataform plugin has this feature, but it hasn't been updated for a while. As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of entries a database can have.
In reply to David Campbell

Thank you for the response David - I appreciate it! I'll have a look at the Dataform plugin, but will keep in mind what you mentioned about it not being updated in a while.

In reply to James Barrett-Poulsen

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
>>>but if I understand correctly, I am able to set "require approval for new records" (and then just never approve them)
Correct.

>>>this will allow entries to remain private, and for me to comment on the entry,
Correct.

>>>>for the student to see my comments and respond (and still only see their requests),
Correct.

>>>whilst I can still see all requests?
Correct.

>>>is there a maximum number of records that can be added to the database
Yes, if you need to.

>>>then once that limit is reached, the database becomes visible to all students
That is another setting: "submit your before you can view others", if you need to (you don't have to). The "Approve" is the king, so, this feature is not applied to your scenario.

>>>do I receive notifications when students submit new entries and do the students receive a notification when their entry is commented on?
No.
However, you can set up an "Event monitor' (https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Event_monitoring) in your Moodle, but it is not a default setting as easy as in forums.

Database activity is a communication tool, TWO ways, similar to Forums/Glossary/Wiki.

If you just want to collect data from your students, that is ONE way only, similar to Feedback/Choice.

Alternatively, you can simply use any Form tool, like Google form, Office365 form...

Moodle feedback is a good form tool smile.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to William Lu

Thank you very much, William, for your detailed reply - it is very helpful and I will look at setting up an Event monitor - I think this solves my issue! For now, I want two-way communication but I understand what you say about Feedback/Choice for one way communication.

Thanks again for your guidance! 😊