SEB key for Windows and iOS

SEB key for Windows and iOS

oleh S. Ba. -
Jumlah balasan: 5

Hello, 

We have Moodle 3.5 and we have installed SEB plugin. 

Can we generate same key for both windows and iOS ? or for each one we should create a new config file? 

We have tested SEB for windows users and it is working successfully. 

However, for ios they can login to seb through the .seb file but they can not attempt the quiz. It keeps telling them that they should install SEB.

Thank you in advance, 

Rata-rata penilaian: -
Sebagai balasan S. Ba.

Re: SEB key for Windows and iOS

oleh Tim Hunt -
Gambar dari Core developers Gambar dari Documentation writers Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Peer reviewers Gambar dari Plugin developers
I home a SEB expert will answer, because my knowledge is a but rusty. I think it works like this:

You can use the same SEB config file with both Windows and Mac. However, when you do, the key you need to type into the Moodle configuration is different. This is because the key is not just based on the signature of the config file, but also the signature of the application that is running it (otherwise someone could distribute an application that pretends to be SEB, without imposing the lock-down). Since SEB for Windows and SEB for Mac are two different apps, they have two different signatures, so you have to tell Moodle both the resulting keys.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope my memory is right.
Rata-rata penilaian:Useful (1)
Sebagai balasan Tim Hunt

oleh S. Ba. -

Thank you for your reply. 

However, there is no step by step guide to show how to use different keys for different OS for same quiz. 

I have reached out to Source Forge, it seems that it is a common issue. 

Thanks again, 

Sebagai balasan S. Ba.

oleh Daniel Schneider -

We will add more detailed documentation about how to add Browser Exam Keys for other operating systems to a Moodle quiz soon on safeexambrowser.org. For now, you can thoroughly read our existing documentation: Using SEB with Moodle

As this key includes a hash (checksum) of both the saved exam settings and the code signature of the used SEB version, you may have to generate and copy several Browser Exam Keys into the Moodle quiz settings, for example one for the Windows version of SEB and one for the Mac version.

So to be secure, the Browser Exam Key (BEK) can only be generated in the SEB application for the specific platform. That means that you have to have access to a device for each operating system you want your students to be able to use for setting up an exam using the BEK. It's anyways highly recommended to test exams on all supported OS platforms, at least the first time and when there are big version changes. For iOS, you can also use an iPhone or an iPod Touch, the BEK key is the same as on an iPad (and won't change for the same config file, even if the SEB version is updated, unlike to the Windows and Mac versions).

The documentation on safeexambrowser.org for the iOS version is currently a bit outdated, but you can refer to the instructions in its in-app settings. In short:

• Start SEB on the iOS device by opening the .seb configuration file you intent to use for the exam. You can generate the config file in any of the SEB versions (Mac, Windows, iOS), they are compatible. You can either send an existing .seb file to the iOS device (by Mail, Messages, using AirDrop from a Mac or using the Files app (in iOS 13, you can connect external drives to iPads). Or you place the .seb file on a web server and create a link to it on some web page. If you change the link protocol prefix from https:// to sebs:// (or http:// to seb://), opening that link from any web browser or from an email client will open that .seb config file in SEB.
  • Open in-app settings. If your exam settings don't have the setting Config File / Show Settings In App enabled, you can enable this setting in SEB's client settings (which are active if you just start the app with taping its icon). Then settings will be available (in the left drawer menu, tap the SEB icon or swipe right from the left display edge) also in exam settings.
  • On the Exam Session settings page, the option "Use Browser & Config Keys" must be enabled. Open the "Share Keys" settings page.
  • Enable "Share Browser Exam Key" 
  • If you didn't modify your exam's settings (because you maybe created them in SEB on another platform and saved them on a web server, to start the exam with an sebs:// link to this .seb config file), you should select the option "Only Keys (Don't Modify Config)" below. If you just created these settings in SEB for iOS, you can use the other option "Share Keys with Config".
  • You can close Settings and log into Moodle as a teacher/admin directly from SEB. The BEK string was copied into the clipboard when closing Settings, so you can paste it into the quiz settings. Or: 
  • Go back to the first Settings page and tap the Share button (leftmost on top). Use one of the options in the Share Sheet (for example Save to Files, Messages or Mail). When your iOS device is in the Single App Mode, some options won't be available.
  • Open the shared email or text file (depending on which share method you used) and copy-paste the shared BEK string into Moodle quiz settings. If you already inserted BEK strings from the Mac or Windows SEB versions, just paste it onto a new line.

This process is quite effortful, especially if you would be using different SEB config files for each of your exams. New SEB versions support a new key called "Config Key", which doesn't check for the used SEB version, but only for correct settings. It can be generated automatically, and that's what the new SEB - Moodle Deeper Integration feature in Moodle 3.9 will use. Then it will be much easier to use SEB with Moodle.

Sebagai balasan Daniel Schneider

oleh Mahesh Kumar -
That makes sense. However, is there a way that when a SEB conf file is created, the same SEB can be used on Mac OSx?

The problem I am having is that the Conf File is created on Windows, and the Keys I am pasting in the Moodle quiz settings is Config Keys. But when I try to run the conf file on Mac, it logins and everything but still says you need to use an approved version of SEB. Any help on this would be great.

We are using Moodle 3.8

Thanks