AICC sessions are not persistent

AICC sessions are not persistent

by James Long -
Number of replies: 4

Hi!

We license AICC content from a 3rd party. Their AICCs seem to work fine from SCORM Cloud, but when we add them to our MOodle instance, we noticed that the AICC file does not save the learner's progress from previous sessions. Whenever learners close entirely out of the AICC and come back later, they have to re-start the AICC from scratch

One painful side effect is that our 3rd party provider, who helps track completion of these courses, is showing a new course transcript item every time one of our users opens the same AICC, so we have people who have completed the same course several times, each with a separate transcript record being tracked.

Most problematic of all, if a learner finishes the AICC, then opens it back up again, Moodle seems to revoke their completion status, which is wrecking our completion reporting/tracking.

We're trying to work with the Vendor, but I thought while I'm waiting for our support session with them, it wouldn't hurt to check in with the experts! 

thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Long

Re: AICC sessions are not persistent

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
What do your activity settings look like? If you force a new attempt always, that would cause some of that problem. Even if you used completed, passed, or failed, I could see that happening for people who complete and want to review or wanted to retry for a better score. How many attempts are allowed?

Do you know what the 3rd party uses to build your content? If so, what settings are being used in it? I use Captivate and I have to tell Captivate what type of LMS I use (Moodle) and how I want scores reported or if I want scores reported and what constitutes completion. If I don't put the right stuff in, it won't run properly. I'd guess the package settings and Moodle settings are not cooperating. Reminds me of dealing with Fred Pryor training modules several years ago. Horrible experience, not impressed at all.

Also...why are they getting your staff reports? That seems weird. I wouldn't like that.
In reply to Melanie Scott

by James Long -

Thank you, Melanie!

I'm not sure what our partner uses to build the content, but I can check to see if it's Captivate. We do have a meeting with them today. You have helped me to know that this behavior can be affected by the way the AICC is built out, so that gives me some hope. We have tested with pretty much every combination of back-end and front-end SCORM setting that is available within Moodle with no success.

I may try one more time with your suggestions, though. Very much appreciated!

They get staff reports because they offer/track accreditation on the courses we license through them. It's a necessary evil, and a bit redundant as Moodle tracks everything we need, apart from that one piece.

In reply to James Long

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Just remember there are many different authoring tools. Some still in use are no longer even available. There was one...something K or K something...(my brain says Special K but that just probably means I need to have breakfast...) that an agency I used to get content from used and, last I heard, they were still pushing those courses and never updated them in the new software they switched to six-eight years ago. The software they originally used wasn't well known when they used it and apparently no one remembers it but the content built in it is still around (causing trouble, it was built specifically for IE 6...).

I've used several...Lectora is a joy. Captivate works. Camtasia does the job. iSpring is interesting (I'm hoping the pay version is less interesting than the old free-ware). I've heard good things about Articulate and all their products. But they all are set up differently and you have to pay attention to how they interact.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by James Long -
We were able to speak with the vendor's development team last week; they actually have an in-house Moodle server, so they're going to do some testing and get back with us. Whether it's a Moodle setting or a config problem in their software, hopefully they can dig in and give us the help we need through it all.

thanks again!